3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Will an 00-04 MTX Thunderform fit in an 05?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jkeaton: Never heard of an isobaric sub, I'll have to look into that, thanks!
JimBio: Hey thanks, man! I'll have to check that out and see what kind of sub I can fit in there and of course where to put the amp.

In other news, I got the amp for my 6.5's installed today. The installer from the shop was nice enough to come over to my house to do it for only $40. Granted I had most of the leg work already done. He even told me that most shops would not have taken the time to run all the wires and cables as good as I did. Besides the speaker wires, I was pleased to not only find how easy it was to remove the center console, but that if you remove the rear cup holder, the lip that runs under the front of the rear seats has 2X3" holes cut in both sides in the middle, left and right which made it easy to run all the cables and wires under the carpet and up through right where they go in the amp. Dodge actually did something right!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 AM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to remove the front middle seat and make a custom sub enclosure there and put a big *** 10" or even 12" if i could fit it there. i just have no fabrication skills lol plus i dont feel like pulling the 2 front seats out just to get the middle seat out :/

i remember someone said they did this and i asked what the dimensions were and never got a reply

edit: anyone ever thought of cutting into the floor board and flattening the rear floor out? lol, ive thought this since i got the truck.. so much wasted space with that big *** rise under the rear seat...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Racinartist
All Star

I just picked up one of these.

http://www.overdriveelectronics.com/...l-Control.html

Haven't mounted it yet (probably won't for a while either with all this BS weather) so I can't give an opinion on performance but the reviews didn't seem to be bad. They supposedly fit under the front seat and I wasn't looking for window shattering bass, just add some thump to this weak factory system. They come in 8" 10" and 12" and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than anything from Thunderform.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM
gjmoran
Captain

all ive been reading is negative reviews from those boss subwoofers

Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Well, I think Im gonna order my mtx thunderform this weekend. I figure, so far I've been going with a clean look that looks totally stock. So, I'm keepin my fingers crossed. Either way it will give me some bass and the more I think about it, I never use that space under the rear driver seat anyway. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the input. Hopefully this will put an end to my sound upgrade so from here on out I can just focus on lifting her a little bit, and then put all my effort into maintenance and performance.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
gjmoran
Captain

Originally Posted by gjmoran
i wanted to remove the front middle seat and make a custom sub enclosure there and put a big *** 10" or even 12" if i could fit it there. i just have no fabrication skills lol plus i dont feel like pulling the 2 front seats out just to get the middle seat out :/

i remember someone said they did this and i asked what the dimensions were and never got a reply

edit: anyone ever thought of cutting into the floor board and flattening the rear floor out? lol, ive thought this since i got the truck.. so much wasted space with that big *** rise under the rear seat...

so im guessin im the only one who has thought about this lol

Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
SeanW727
Professional

Edit: Posted in wrong thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 AM
durapu
Professional

Originally Posted by gjmoran
so im guessin im the only one who has thought about this lol
you arent the only one ... but I wouldnt flatten out the rear I would just deapen the space under the seats (so it still looks stock) ... you could go a good 8 inches and not have any issues .. this is a major change and you would have to be sure you got it right (structure) ... you would also want to make it more than a box (areodynamics and such from the underside)... if you didnt put subs in there you would have TONS of storage space .. more than most full sized quadcab trucks. talked with my buddy about this, but it is last on my list .. and WAY down since the 2 accidents I have been in .. someone clipped my front end 2 days after I bought my truck and the day after christmas I got rearended.... anyway .. I'm up for the Mod but I have more pending issues

Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Hey guys just wanted to give you an update of what I found. I ordered the box that JimBio suggested. Only $38, its a good box, and he was right it does fit fine behind the seat. Only down side is, the box is only 0.38 cubic ft., so if you want to put in a Kicker 8" sub, you will be ok, but I had already ordered the Kicker 10" shallow mount compvt sub and it requires 0.8 cubic ft. After taking several measurements and searching online, I could not find a box that would be able to fit and provide enough volume. The MTX Thunderform is 0.7 cubic ft. After talking to a tech guy at kicker, I am pretty sure that it will work, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I was able to find a web site www.sonicelectronix.com that offered just the shell, with no sub or amp. They were asking $255, but I was able to deal them down to $216 w free shipping. So I am hoping that it will fit (it was labeled as a 2000-04, but looked and had the exact same measurements as the others) and that being only 0.1 cubic ft less than the manual suggests, it will still give good sound. When everything is said and done I will let you guys know. Man, this has been an adventure getting this system together. Hopefully, it will all pay off in the end.

Quick Reply: Will an 00-04 MTX Thunderform fit in an 05?