3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

high pitched noise when accelerated

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool high pitched noise when accelerated

i recently had my truck at the dealership to get a new tcase under warranty. the part was free which was amazing and of course they convinced me to do some maintenance on the truck. some of the things they did involve cleaning fuel injectors, a tuneup, etc. Since i got it back i notice a high pitched noise when i press the gas pedal and it is insanely annoying. my original thoughts were an air leak or possibly a vacuum line but i have no clue what it is. i am a mechanic so can fix it when i get a chance i just dont know what the problem is

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

I am not sure what it could be, but welcome to DF 3rd Gen Section. You can find just about anything on this forum and no question usually goes un-answered.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Desert_Rat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the same thing going on with my 05. When I push the gas it sounds almost like a brake squeel or kind of like a deisel when they accelerate. Its been driving me nuts for the past 2 years but nobody at the shops I've taken it to has been able to tell me what it is. If you have the same thing going on and figure out what it is please let me know so I can fix it.

I would be forever greatful!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with popping open the hood and checking simple items like
- did they reinstall an air filter
- are all the air hoses connected properly
- the the air box connected to the throttle body
- with the engine off and engine cool check the fan to see if it spins freely

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

thanks backwoods. im just a gearhead who is overly obsessed with his truck and then decided i would make an account so i could communicate with you fellow 3rd gen owners and possibly get a little help with this squeak i have. Is your username a reference to the cigars? (backwoods)

Desert Rat, if i can find out what it is i will definately let you know. I'm not sure if it is able to be heard on the exterior or just from the cab but my flowmaster super 40 will take care of the sound when i install one of those soon (:

Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

eimer, did all of those minus check the fan. i have a k&n and intentionally threw one of those stickers on there so they wouldnt mess with my air filter. I will check the fan when i get a chance though. thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
thanks backwoods. Is your username a reference to the cigars? (backwoods)
Your Welcome. My name is not a reference to the cigars, (i have been asked a couple times). It is a reference to where I grew up lol. Dirt road, small town etc..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea the fan is a clutch fan, its a cheap effective way to get it to work, but its cheap and they fail easily. When mine failed it would make a horrible squeal noise until the engine warmed up.

If worse get to worse bring the truck back, and make them find the issue. They will check your truck for warranty issues for free. Once they find the issue if its covered have it fixed, if not start getting quotes to get it fixed. You should not have to fork over a dime for the dealer to check your truck for a possible warranty issue.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

yeah i know what you mean man but it does it even when the engines warmed up. it is just since the day i got it back from the dodge dealership that the sound is an issue. i have a busy work/school schedule so bringing it back to them is not the top of my priorities..

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

It is a high pitch hum/whistle, when you are on the accelerator, and goes away when you let off, or shortly after?

I would guess that it could be something in the intake or exhaust, but its wierd that it doesnt do it when idling or when you aint on the accelerator.

Quick Reply: high pitched noise when accelerated