3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Key Won't Turn, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried 2 weeks ago as well but it was just the steering wheel lock.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
He is in MI, and its been real cold the past few days... it is possible it was just frozen. (ask Badstrat about that. lol)
I must have missed that story, or was that when he left his window down on the laser?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Your 07 better... Mine does. You have to crank it a good bit for it to lock.
I have to try it. I have never locked my steering wheel so i didn't know it had one!!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Strange this is the first post on this issue. a few months ago i had a new key cut and the locksmith actually asked me if i had ever had that problem. i said no and he told me it was a common dodge problem. he told me if it ever happened to tap the key in with a hammer, that i would not be able to do it with my hand because that would be like a rubber mallet with not enough shock to unbind the lock tumbler. he also warned me to be aware that the keyhead was plastic and don't over do it. As for the possibility off it being frozen by temp, you could try heating the key and inserting, also being aware that the key head is plastic(not to mention the guts), so don't get it too hot.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
krazyistkarl

my 2007 had a slight squealing sound on start up right from the day i bough it (used) so i never thought anything of it, then this noise was getting louder and louder and my truck would randomly not start.
First off i blamed my command start (ultra start after market) and brought it back to the company that installed it, they said a wire was loose on the "ignition alarm something or other" the problem seemed to have gone away.
I was wrong, it continued, so i brought it into the dealership and they said my started was staying engaged a little too long so i got a new one on warranty and it hasn't given me a problem since

Quick Reply: Key Won't Turn, Any Ideas?