3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Headlight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 AM
tnek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight wiring

I have tried to search the wiring diagrams for any kind of relay and or fuse. I can trace the headlights back to the Intigrated power module/ front control module and the light switch from the other end to the same Intigrated power module.

What I cant find is a schematic that shows the true conections that connect the two.

I see no relay,,, I also can find no fuse.

My headlights on my 05 have been flickering intermitantly with no real link to bouncing or hitting a pothole. The only seem to do it within the first 5 minutes the truck is started and driving. Its not long enough to get a good handle on the rest of the things going on. I do not think the dash or parking lights are involved but again I have to say its not constant enough or long enough to determine.

Anyone who has ever traced the cables back has sadly found that they are pluged in the bottem of the module and basicly unable to reach. I have not had enough of an issue yet to get serious about pulling things apart but I have ordered and gotten a new headlight switch. Im trying to hold off till spring to do this unless the lights get worse.

So who here knows anything about this topic please.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That almost sounds like a loose connection but not... odd.
Anyways, as far as the light diagrams go, check out our service manuals... there are schematics of each system. It can be found on the 3rd Gen Section Main Page under the Service Manual Thread. Also in your Fuse Box: Fuse Location Number 32 and 34 deal with your FCM control of the exterior lights.

Thats the best I can do. I havent really messed with the headlights yet. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM
tnek

According to the service manual the FCM is in charge of headlights. This is on a 05. I looked and the ground and L33 L34 L43 L44 circuts seem to just go to the FCM and stop. The headlight switch is about the same and it seems to be a control circut, not the actual light power circut from just what I can see. I doubt its a fuse but who knows. I am actually an industrial el and used to work for Chrysler in the tranny plants. It still seems like I am missing a print to show the inside of the FCM.
In the 8W and 8L sections there is a maze to chase back but I still seem to hit a wall in both directions at the FCM
And I thought schematics for German Machine tools and lazers were a beeotch.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 PM
k5avj

Headlights blinking off on my 98 Dodge 2500 Ram....after 13 years & 325K miles, I've replaced the headlight switch twice. It has a built-in circuit breaker that gets weak. See the Haynie Repair Manual and/or YouTube videos on doing change out if you don't mind doing your own work. You should be able to purchase a new switch for $25-30.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

you mean to tell me a computer controls the lights on these trucks too? Is there any relay logic left???? lol

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

before spending $ on a switch, make sure switch and plug are solid to each other. i had an issue with my a/c being intermittant on bumps. had an a/c guy check out under hood and relays. he said must b my head unit. bought another head and when i went to swap out the plug on back of temp control just fell off. i said hmmm wtf? i plugged it back in solid and haven't had a problem since. that mistake didn't break the bank cause the replacement head was used - $36. at least i have a spare head unit.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
k5avj

Computer control of headlights???
+ No, on my '98...but
+ Yes, on my '04 &
I have an issue I am still trying to resolve without spending $1000 replacing the front control module (FCM) and power distribution center (PDC). On my '04, the left lo-beam does not work & a replacement lamp did not fix it. I pulled the PDC & removed the FCM - cleaned the contacts - re-installed & it worked for 6 weeks & is on the blink again.

Parts only available from dealer... I was quoted about $300 for the FCM. Not sure what the PDC costs but it has a reputation for internal corrosion unaccessible for repair. One owner on this forum was up over $1000 after replacement of the FCM & problem still was not fixed so the PDC was next.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM
sparky123

I have the exact same problem with my headlights going off for no reason. I have a 2005 also and I had the headlight switch replaced when it was still under warranty and it did not help the problem. I do not drive my truck at night the problem is so bad, but i can not figure it out because they always are working when i go to work on it. If you figure it out please tell me, I was thinking about trading it in because i can not trust my truck.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
sparky123

tnek did you get the problem figured out?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
you mean to tell me a computer controls the lights on these trucks too? Is there any relay logic left???? lol
NOT AT ALL!!!!! I mean, when you can take a tried and true system, that is easy to trace, repair, and work on. Well that just means IT NEEDS TO BE EFFED UP!!! Or this would be the thoughts behind engineers anymore...

That is why when Mr 4.7l comes out and Mr. 440 Hemi goes in, all that idiotic wiring design that some stupid guy with his thumb up his you know what designed is coming out.

I intend to have a wiring diagram, so that all of you can cut this FCM crap out of this truck and replace it with a good ole Relay/Fuse system too.

I have to say that these gen 3 dakotas are awesome, but some people that got in on the design process just need to be bludgeoned over the head with a extremely blunt object.

>look over body satisfied and repeat as necessary<

Quick Reply: Headlight wiring