3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

B OH B made me do it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

sounds like the same **** i was going through....it would idle fine in drive, but if I put it in park it would rev. or it would surge.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Well this morning idled fine on warm up, and during the drive to work. In the parking lot, still no issues... so I think I solved it, no I am just going to fine tune the screw and adjust the plates. I honestly am thinking now, you two had a defective TB.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Yep, thats the conclusion we came to as well, since it did the same thing on both or trucks. It just sucked that the guy who makes them would not help Bobby out.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1st day I had mine in I threw a code for idle higher than expected. I cleared it and reloaded my SCT cam/blower/alcohol tune it never happened again. Mine idles just fine.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Originally Posted by ericemery
So I wont be getting any more texts today? lol

I figured you boogered up that adjustment. lol
Nope you got a call! lol It was more than that adjustment

Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
1999blkdakrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought that fastman tb from Bob and the first thing I noticed was that it had a huge gap on one side, I have owned a dwight 4.7 also and I must say I never seen a gap like the one on the fastman so I am not too sure if it was the truck or the tb's. Since then I loosened the 2 screw that hold the plate in place and snapped it shut, this centered the plate in the bore, I retightened the screws and it's as good as new, also readjusted the idle screw, when setting this you want it backed out as far as possible but in just enough to prevent the blade from sticking, the blade does not sit at a 90* angle with the bore, it is slightly cocked and that is why when you look at the tps side with the shaft it is at about 85*. When adjusting the screw just turn it in until it hits the shaft and then give it about a 1/8th of a turn more, open the throttle and snap it shut, when you reopen it you can feel if it sticks or not, from there it is just a fine tuning of the blade either way to get it as closed as possible yet not sticking at all. I have a few pics to show.
Before blade adjustment
After blade adjustment
Refurbished
I completely disassemble this throttle body, reworked all the pieces, polished it to a mirror finish and got it up to par for one of my throttle bodies, I will be selling it very soon as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

Thanks for that info...after logically thinking about it, doing some research, talking with Bobby and doing all the adjustments I think my TPS was spot on even before I tweaked the shaft, I think between the computer learning this TB, the small stick and that screw not being adjusted it is or was my issue... tonight I am going to tweak the shaft back straight as compared to stock, reset the computer and start over... if you look at my TPS Readings thread you'll get a better understanding as to what I did and why I did what I did. I think my computer has a wrong TPS value learned now... thus all my issues with the higher idle values...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
1999blkdakrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic, hope you can enlarge it if you need to, as you can see it is slightly cocked of 90*, so around 85*, hope this helps. Anyone interested in a reworked Fastman 68.5mm throttle body 1 screw IAC, Brian

Quick Reply: B OH B made me do it!