3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How to adjust steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust steering wheel

Hey everyone,
Got my struts and TM kit installed last Tuesday. They aligned it after install and said they had to correct the steering a little bit because the wheel was crooked when going down the road due to the leveling kit. Well they over-corrected it. Instead of taking it back for them to mess it up again, is there a way to do this myself? The wheel is off about 1/16th turn, which is enough to bother me. The wheels are aligned and the truck doesnt pull, its just the wheel that needs to be straightened.

The reason the 1/16th turn bothers me; going down the roads here, I normally have to keep the wheel turned about 1/16th to keep the truck going straigtht due to the bank in the roads. Its more noticable on the freeway. Depending on the lane, I have to keep the wheel slightly slanted to go straight. Now, since the wheel is 1/16th off I have to keep the wheel at 1/8th of a turn to go down the freeway in the left lane ..... and it bothers me Thanks for any help.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, You could "cheat" and pull the steering wheel and move it over a tooth or two. I had to do this on an beater car as the front end was toast, and it bothered me

I bet they adjusted it with the outer tie rods, or less likely they moved the shaft that connects the steering shaft from the rack.

If it is only a tiny bit, I say move the steering wheel (it may be off anyway!)

Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
rengnath
Champion

If they fixed it with an outer tie rod, are my tires going to wear properly then? If I have to, Ill just take it to another place and get it aligned.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

i'd be skeered to mess with the steering wheel for fear of setting off the airbag...lol

Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
rengnath
Champion

Its not like someones wife and their husband will come kick your *** ..... you just have to be gentle with it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect your battery first! I will be pulling my steering wheel soon, I am adding radio controls

No, your alignment should be fine!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 PM
rengnath
Champion

Thanks Mr Egger!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by rengnath
Its not like someones wife and their husband will come kick your *** ..... you just have to be gentle with it.
lmao!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Not a big deal take it back and have them reset it. If you adjust the outer tie rods you will affect the toe in setting of the alignment. Most likely you will not be able to do it acurately with out and alignment rack. Pulling the steering wheel will work too and not affect the toe in setting.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who did the alignment?

They are full of beans. I have heard that same line, leveling kit or not, for a very long time with this truck.

The only two places that can align my truck perfectly is my local dealership, and this one particular firestone in my area. I once had mavis try over 3 times to align my truck before they quit and gave me my money back. They could not get the steering wheel straight.

I put my own leveling kits on, and it never changed the straightness of the steering wheel. It does not change it at all.

They simply do not know how to align your truck.

Quick Reply: How to adjust steering wheel