3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My 2 Front Speaker Will Not Work???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Clergy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question My 2 Front Speaker Will Not Work???

Hey guys I'm new here and I have a question about my trucks audio system.

I just bought a used Dakota and I am loving the truck but for some reason the two front speakers will not work. There is no cracking no fading in and out there is just simply nothing at all.

I already checked the fades on the head unit it self and everything was set where it should be. The two rear speakers are working find but again nothing in the front.

Can someone point me in the right direction of a manual for removing my door panels so I can look to see if the speakers are disconnected, damaged, or missing?

If it is an issue with the head such as a loose wiring harness would removing the bezel near the head be difficult?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

Welcome to the best darn 3rd Gen Dakota forum out there! Now got that out if the way...lol..you have two choices really....take the door panel off one door and hook up a known good speaker and that way you can narrow it down to the speaker or the head unit. The other choice would be to take the radio out and make sure the plug is seated. I'm sure others will also chime in with others ideas..we're good at that... oh and post up some pics of your truck!

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Clergy

I appreciate the warm welcome and I will most definitely post up some pics tomorrow when i have a little day light. I was contemplating buying some new speakers from Crutchfield as I know they sell their stuff with manuals and the after market speakers are far better anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jkeaton nailed it. Welcome aboard the 3rd gen section of DF

Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Welcome to the forum! First thing you should do is go to an auto parts store and pick up a Haynes manual for your truck, costs about $20, but worth its weight in gold. Explains everything step by step with pictures. It shows how to take all door panels and trim panels off. But the doors are easy. All you need is a philips head screwdriver and something flat like a butter knife. Look around the edges of your door panel. There will be 2 screws towards the bottom edge and one larger one behind the inside door handle. Then slip the butter knife under the edge of the panel with the window and lock buttons. Gently pop it up one bit at a time till it slides out and you can disconnect the wire harnesses. To remove the door panel, lift up and out gently but firmly. It might stick a little, but it will pop out. Once it comes off you still have to reach behind it and disconnect the arm of the door lock from the inside of the door handle. You will see a little plastic clip that you just have to rotate till it pops off. Thats it. Might sound like a lot, but its really easy once you get into it. Might only take like 10 min. to get them both off.

But like I said before, get a Haynes manual and you will be set.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Not to hijack this thread but reading this made me think of something remotely related. A friend of mine has a mid 2000's Durango and he says his speakers are powered remotely (wireless). He found this out when he went to install a new head unit. Said he had to buy some contraption to adapt the new (non-OEM) head unit to get signal to the speakers. Has anyone heard of this before? Is it common on certain Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles? Do any Dakotas also have this setup?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
italiandominator
All Star

thats a new one to me Racin

Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
gjmoran
Captain

lol not to sound sarcastic or anything, but did you check the fader on the audio settings?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 342 Likes on 305 Posts

He said he checked the fade....

Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Clergy

Here she is...

Quick Reply: My 2 Front Speaker Will Not Work???