3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission program is irritating.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission program is irritating.

I have a 2009 Dakota QC 4.7, auto.
Every time I go up an appreciable grade where the truck should downshift, it won't do it until: I put my foot on the floor (or close), or I hit the Tow Haul button. In either case it downshifts into passing gear, rev's up to very high rpm, waits about 10 seconds or more, then finally downshifts into the gear it should have chosen in the first place.
If I hit the Tow Haul button before the hill, it still goes down into passing gear.
Is there any way I can get it to just downshift out of overdrive into 4th?

It's horrid with cruise control, it dowshifts really hard, and would break the rear end loose if I ever used cruise on less than dry pavement.
It's the company truck, so I can only do "Dodge Authorized" things.

Any (constructive) suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Tygarys
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 does this too, and it is a pita. You are going to be very limited since its a company truck. The only thing I know of to change the transmission settings is a Superchips tuner. The Superchips tuner supports up to the 2010's and they have an ad-on that can change the transmission settings, but I don't think your company would go for one of those.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM
rengnath
Champion

If you want to invest $300, you could throw a Superchips on there and make it shift how ever you want. No one would know it was on there and you can turn it back to stock at any time.

My only other suggestion would be disconnect the battery for an hour. The 545rfe is fully electronic and it learns driving habits, and after a while these transmissions can get some flaws. I have noticed with mine that I have to reset it every 5k miles or so or it is just a dog, even with custom tuning. By disconnecting the battery, it will reset the PCM forcing the transmission to relearn the shifting, and it would relearn your driving style.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Thats about all you can do is superchips. I've got mine now where it is very reponsive to throttle input and I just have to barely press on the gas to get it to drop into 4th when cruising at @65. If I mash hard (floor it) it will drop into 3rd. I've still got some fine tuning to do but it is so much better than stock. You would just have to shell out the money yourself I guess and install the tune, but uninstall it when you take it to the dealer for service.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry It's Microsoftitis

Just brilliant Dodge, make the transmission so committed to gas mileage, the truck doesn't work right.

There isn't a change to the Tow Haul to make it just "overdrive off" is there?
(That would solve 90% of the problem.)

Microsoftitis: An unfortunate disease contracted by corporate entities wherein they believe that the desires they misunderstood from their focus groups should be provided and made mandatory in all of their products.

I.e.
Just try to make Office 2010 not make you crazy.
There has never been a manual transmission option for a half ton with the 5.7 Hemi.
There is no manual option with a V8 in the Dakota (or the half ton anymore).
All leather chaps from Harley come in waist sizes at least 10" more than their length. (I'm overweight, but I don't wear 42W 32L pants....)

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Dolt_Dodger
Just brilliant Dodge, make the transmission so committed to gas mileage, the truck doesn't work right.

There isn't a change to the Tow Haul to make it just "overdrive off" is there?
(That would solve 90% of the problem.)

Microsoftitis: An unfortunate disease contracted by corporate entities wherein they believe that the desires they misunderstood from their focus groups should be provided and made mandatory in all of their products.

I.e.
Just try to make Office 2010 not make you crazy.
There has never been a manual transmission option for a half ton with the 5.7 Hemi.
There is no manual option with a V8 in the Dakota (or the half ton anymore).
All leather chaps from Harley come in waist sizes at least 10" more than their length. (I'm overweight, but I don't wear 42W 32L pants....)
LOL, I feel your pain....I believe you can get he dealer to change the tow/haul to an OD on/off. I've seen some posts on here about it. They have to reprogram it.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

My tow/haul is just an OD off button. Nevermind I have the 4 speed

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
My tow/haul is just an OD off button. Nevermind I have the 4 speed
LOL....Focus!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Haha, long day at work. Had to pull a huge dryer (86 feet) out of a commercial laundry factory. Went in at 3:30 a.m and left at 11 A.M started again at noon and just got out at 8

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM
rengnath
Champion

You can have the dealer make the tow/haul an OD off button instead. With superchips, you can even make a seperate (mostly seperate) schedule when you have OD off.

Quick Reply: Transmission program is irritating.