3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New radio question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Tygarys
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radio question

I have a question about a new radio I had installed. It only works when the ignition is in "on" or "start". It won't work in Acc. The place that installed it says that the dodge radios use resistance to detect when to turn on, and since the new unit does not provide this it won't work in Acc. Is there a way to connect the radio to allow it to work in Acc?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

if it were me i'd take it back and say make it right or put my old one back in.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
rengnath
Champion

You could tap the radio power in to the hot wire going to the cigarette lighter; that works when the key is in any position but off. I think the radio shop just doesnt feel like fixing their mess up.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My pioneer stereo work fine in ACC mode, tell them to do it right and hook it up correctly.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM
babygotdak
Professional

The shop has to either use an expensive adapter to make it work or do what I did and just run a hot wire from the fuse box that turns on with acc for the signal lead.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by babygotdak
The shop has to either use an expensive adapter to make it work or do what I did and just run a hot wire from the fuse box that turns on with acc for the signal lead.
I am of the opinion that the shop should do this for him since he paid for the installation, or they should have let him know ahead of time if they knew it would be a problem (sounds like they have experienced this issue before). They should make it right. Sure, it may be a simple fix but I'd be pissed if I paid to have something professsionally installed only to find out I had to finish it myself to make it work like a normal radio.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM
babygotdak
Professional

I completely agree. I was given the option upfront from Best Buy. They told me I could spend an extra 60 for the adapter and i told them that it didn't seem right. They then told me that they could run the signal wire for the quoted price.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
BrandNew
Professional

All dodges are not like that. My kenwood works just fine. It doesnt even cut out when I start the truck.

Quick Reply: New radio question