3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Does anyone have strobes on their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 06dak287
aside from being metro's unmarked demonstration unit....whatever i want. underage parties? no problem. parking lot fight? not for long. little juveniles playing in the street? not after 100w of wail goes through their ears.

you know. stuff like that. my favorite is when im going the speed limit IN A NEIGHBORHOOD OR SCHOOL ZONE! and some dude or female on their phone or just plain stupid. flys by me in the middle lane. bet they wont do that again
hahaha!!! that sounds like FUN!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
fingers588
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad someone posted this because I'll be 2nd Assistant Chief in May and need to light up my truck with red and whites. We currently run blue for firefighters and green for emt's in CT and red and white for chief's. Red and blue are for police. I've been trying to figure out a wiring scheme for the lights I'd like to get (similar to the police dak on the video except in red and white) without burning it up. Anyone got any suggestions? How about you vollies out there? What you got for lights?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well if you go with a good reputable company like fed sig or whelen than their packages come with control modules you mount within reach while driving. they usually just have a fat fused power wire in from the battery and the module controls everything else. all you gotta do is flick the switch. you could get roof mounted, visor mounted, side mirror mounted, windshield mounted, grille, the possibilities for unmarked vehicle lighting is endless

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
fingers588
Amateur

well if you go with a good reputable company like fed sig or whelen than their packages come with control modules you mount within reach while driving. they usually just have a fat fused power wire in from the battery and the module controls everything else. all you gotta do is flick the switch. you could get roof mounted, visor mounted, side mirror mounted, windshield mounted, grille, the possibilities for unmarked vehicle lighting is endless
All good but the only thing that is limited is $$$$$$!!!! Whelen and Fed Sig are up there and there are plenty of others that are much less expensive but equally as good. Sttrobesnmore.com are extremely suggested by plenty of guys i know and will most likely go to them for my supply of lights. I just want something simple yet bright enough so as to not get nailed when i'm on I-95 for an MVA. I know plenty of other guys that go beyond whats needed and light there vehicle like its XMas!! lol All i want is a couple of lights for front warning and a few in the rear all controlled by separate switches. One switch for the fronts and one switch for the rear. I have plenty of ideas scrambling in my head but cant get them finalized. I do have time however to pick everyones brains and get more suggestions on details on how to go about wiring everything up before the end of May. Keep the suggestions coming folks!!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Pwall
Veteran

http://www.strobes-r-us.com/ this is where we get all our strobes for DOT and i like the fog light, headlight, and two in the front grill for the front and in the rear backup lights and tail lights they are all hidden and can't be seen make sure the control box is mounted under the hood so you don't hear it cycle on and off

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Dinger838
Veteran

Yes I'm a interior ff and will be a basic emt In 3 weeks. But In NY you have to a blue light card by the chief and it Can only be blue which is a cortosey light unless your asst or chief then you can get real lights but if You use them in a non emergency situation you can be in trouble. Where I live it doesn't matter its a real small town. I just know the laws. Lets get a thread going of everyones daks lit up and some of wiring

Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like what your sayin 06dak287, but my big thing was that, aside from being a combat medic, emt, and in nursing school, there have been several times since I got home where i have come across an accident on the highway and I stopped to help, mostly at night and in fog (go figure) so my thing would be really so people can see us on the side of road and dont hit us.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

aside from being metro's unmarked demonstration unit....whatever i want. underage parties? no problem. parking lot fight? not for long. little juveniles playing in the street? not after 100w of wail goes through their ears.

you know. stuff like that. my favorite is when im going the speed limit IN A NEIGHBORHOOD OR SCHOOL ZONE! and some dude or female on their phone or just plain stupid. flys by me in the middle lane. bet they wont do that again
That is what I do with my PA speaker. Blare sirens to people who break the law... I am waiting for someone to do it to me

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Dinger838
Veteran

I've always used galls

Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by italiandominator
I like what your sayin 06dak287, but my big thing was that, aside from being a combat medic, emt, and in nursing school, there have been several times since I got home where i have come across an accident on the highway and I stopped to help, mostly at night and in fog (go figure) so my thing would be really so people can see us on the side of road and dont hit us.
hideaway strobes and an amber directional control bar in the back window is perfect for these situations. most states dont have a statue on clear strobes in the taillights and headlights. most of the time if your not moving or not using them to break the law (ie, assisting an accident) than law enforcement can care less. and amber light stuff is USUALLY only permitted while in motion. but while stopped "most" places dont mind someone with an amber light.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have strobes on their truck?