3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

HELP - I need a new one of these !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 AM
rayhertford
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - I need a new one of these !!!

Hi All

Can anyone help me out? I need one of these parts. It's the small white plastic component that has the hole through it (not the beige bit into which it screws). Both bits are part of the driver’s seat tensioning mechanism which adjusts the "lumber" seating on the upright of the driver’s seat.

My one has split where the hole is, when in situ, it has a large metal split pin go through it. I've glued it up with super glue (as in the picture), but it wasn't strong enough and just broke again. It's a pretty crap design if you ask me but I do need a replacement. I'm in England, in the UK so it isn't easy to get hold of spare parts or spare parts numbers, particularly odd parts like this one.

Can anyone tell me what the correct part number is for this part and how much it might cost? I've got relatives who live in California, so if I can get the part number I could probably get them to order it for me and post over to England.

Thanks in advance

Ray

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG4054.jpg (40.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by rayhertford; 04-15-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: can't see any photos!!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Mine broke also. I THINK this is a part number for the Ram, but it shold work 1-05166079aa. IF you want people have "fixed" it with an eye-bolt.

"Its pretty straight forward. You pull the **** straight out (mine was loose anyway, so it didn't have any resistance). Then remove the 2 screws from the black "cup" underneath, followed by the 2 screws from the white "cup" under that one. There is a locking pin that has to be pushed to turn the remaining black plastic through the the frame (away from you). It will help if you pull up the back of the seat cover, approx half way up the seat (otherwise its like doing heart surgery while going in through your ***hole). Once its removed, pull the black housing out through the back of the seat. My lumbar support was broken where a white plastic "screw" met up with the lumbar support (i have no idea why this was engineered that way, as it seems like an easy location for a break). Trust me, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

Take the "white screw" with the broken end, and drill out a small enough hole for an eye bolt to fit in. What we are going to do is use the eye bolt as a MUCH stronger replacement for the original P.O.S. plastic setup. I happened to have an eye bolt laying in the drawer that worked (I did, however, need to cut a piece of the eye out, and crush it down, making the eye bolt part small enough to slide back into the housing). I would say a bolt with the threading for 1" to 1 1/2" should be long enough. Once you have the bolt screwed securely into place (maybe a drop of glue to ensure it doesn't come out, though doubtful), slide it into the black housing that is still attached to the lumbar support (the lumbar support is essentially a band that goes from one side of the seat to the other). There will be a locking pin on the band that will need to be pulled out so the eye bolt's hole can be slid in. When you have the pin reinstalled, just reverse the disassembly instructions to put it back together. Congratulations, you not only repaired your lumbar support for under $1, but you ensured that this part wont break again!"

Copied from another site.

"I hopped up into my 2005 Dodge Ram last night and felt my manual lumbar support give way. The problem was that the white plastic spinner inside the black housing broke at the point where it surrounds the tension pin (you'll understand exactly where all these points are once you see them).

I did an online search for repair and the best option i found was to hand over $40.00 for a new lumbar mechanism. My wife is a checkbook **** so i knew i was on a tight budget -- which most times forces creativity.

This problem can be fixed simply with an eye bolt and nut... more specifically: a $0.99 pack from Home Depot: #8-32 x 1-5/8" eye bolt.

Basically, for those that already know more than i did about the mechanism, all you're doing is creating a new hole for the tension pin with the eye bolt.

If you're not much of a fix-it guru (i'm certainly not), don't be shy when disassembling the lumbar mechanism because it's not a difficult fix. Here's how i did it on my 2005 Ram (and i don't know technical jargon, so forgive the simple language):

-Remove the adjustment ****. Mine just pulled off.
-Remove the black trim under the **** (2 screws).
-Carefully remove the white housing (2 screws; this will be under the seat fabric, so carefully remove).
-Twist the white, plastic tension screw. This is actually a two-piece mechanism. If it twists freely until it comes out, then you've found your problem; you'll see the end of this plastic hardware broken and missing half the housing that surrounds the tension pin.
-HERE'S WHERE YOU USE THE EYE BOLT: Unscrew the two white plastic screws. In the middle of the groove where the tension pin rests, drill a hole (large enough for the bolt) straight through the broken plastic screw. Insert the eye bolt until the eye portion rests along the groove in the screw. Place and tighten the nut on the other end of the eye bolt that's protruding from the end of the plastic screw. Reconnect the two plastic screws.
-Tilt the seat as far forward as you can. Under the back portion of the seat you'll find an access point to the seat guts. Carefully pull the the locking strip apart and fold the fabric up until you can clearly see the lumbar mechanism on the backside.
-From the side of the seat where you've removed the adjustment mechanism, push the release tab and twist the black cylindrical mechanism so that you now can access this part from the back of the seat.
-Push the tension pin out of one side of the lumbar strap and fully out of the black housing.
-Insert the plastic screw mechanism with new eye bolt into the black housing (eye bolt first)... you see where i'm headed with this now, don't you?
-Push the tension pin back through the black housing, MAKING SURE IT FINDS ITS WAY THROUGH ITS NEW, METAL RIGID HOME, and back through the lumbar strap.
-Push and twist the black mechanism back into the seat housing.
-Fold the seat fabric down and reconnect strips.
-Replace white housing, making sure to carefully push it under the fabric.
-Replace black trim.
-Replace ****.
-Enjoy a beer (or two) and give your wife some flowers with the money you've saved."

Copied from another site.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Dells33
Rookie

Is there anyone that has photos of this because mine has broke as well and have been trying to find away to fix it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM
rayhertford

Nice one Cuban. that makes perfect sense and I'll give it a go. I've had the seat apart anyway to fit video screens in the headrests, so I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Ray

Last edited by rayhertford; 04-15-2011 at 10:47 AM.