3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid and Filter change questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
GrnDak01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown287
6qts if you just drop the pan. 14 qts is you drain the cooler, lines and drop the tranny/pull the torque converter and drain it.
Blown or anyone in the know I've got a ?. I want to drop the pan (which will be easy enough) and replace filters. Your comment got me thinking if I could drain the lines that will allow me to replace that much more fluid. Is it as simple as disconnecting the lines? Or will I need to put on some pressure? Plus if I pressure the fluid out will I need to do the reverse to get fluid back in? I'm just wondering if its okay to have some air in the line till the tranny itself gets all the air out. I ask because I heard once that transmissions can suffer damage to some bearings if they are starved of fluid. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
GrnDak01
Rookie

I found a write up by Popular Mechanics that says you can pull one of the lines on the cooler and run the engine to pump/drain itself out. Sounds interesting and cheaper than taking it to a shop. But I know the shop can pressure flush while this is not a true pressure flush. Any how I'll give this some thought.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/1272521

Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
rengnath
Champion

Thats how the trans shop flushes my trans. They use the pump in the tranny to exchange the fluid, that way there is no high pressure to destroy the transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid and Filter change questions...