3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Diagnostic Code From odometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM
TM.SS
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnostic Code From odometer

Malfunction indicator light on dash lighted, I did the trick with key, on-off, on-off, on code P0456 came up. I followed older threads and found I should check gas cap and rubber hoses under hood. I see nothing obvious so I thought I should check again to make sure I read code right and can not get any code to to come up. I do get total hours (2174) I can run gauge sweep. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. 05 SLT 4X4 4.7 V8 53500 Miles

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

can you take it to an autozone or something and have the code actually read?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
TM.SS
Rookie

I can no longer to get the display to show a code or ---done--- I didnt know if by reading the code once while I was turning key on and off if I put it into a different mode. I know cycling the key can change the door lock functions, read a code, and sweep the instrument cluster. I'm not aware of anything else that the key does besides starting the engine. The manual does not cover all the little tricks so I wanted to check to make sure I didn't mess something up by playing with the key. I will swing by Advance auto and have them check to make sure I read the code correctly, get it cleared and see if it comes back. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
reagor
Professional

how do we check dtc's on our dak's with the odo?...i thought this was a deisel truck/obd1 jumper wire thing

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by reagor
how do we check dtc's on our dak's with the odo?...i thought this was a deisel truck/obd1 jumper wire thing
there's some key on-off sequence you can do to get the codes to show up on the odo. I'm not sure how it's done. I have a code reader so never had the need.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
TM.SS
Rookie

I had read in one of the older posts that some Daks would support this by turning key on-off-on-off-on all within 5 seconds, a later post said to hold odometer reset button down for a minute or so and hour meter would display total hours run. That also worked for me. A friend has a code reader and I checked with that and got the same P0456 code, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back.

Last edited by TM.SS; 05-12-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Code From odometer