3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

What's the Fascination?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people love the lifted off-road look, some love a lowered street truck look, personally I'm a fan of both so long as it's well executed. For someone that doesn't go offroading 20's work very well on our trucks when going for a street truck look. Lower profile sidewalls are stiffer and help a little on the handling and if the truck is lowered upsizing the rims almost always helps the look (within reason of course).

You can fit 265/50R20 tires on these trucks with no rubbing, that's over 5" of sidewall. In my mind at least that's more than enough to protect the rims from on road hazards, especially with tires designed to carry the weight of trucks and SUVs (of course I don't fall into the group that aims for every pothole in the road either). Personally I can't stand to see rim/tire combinations that end up with skinny rubber band tires but you can definitely set up a 20" rim/tire combination that fits on our trucks and gives a healthy looking sidewall ratio.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
ruger226
Captain

I have 265/50r20's and i think they look good any bigger in rim and it would look stupid. I like both lifted and lowered truck if they are built/driven right. For example i went to the lake monday and all the lifted trucks with swampers on them parked in the gravel at the boat launch.... Me and a 2wd S10 had to park in the mud. Just my .02

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate lowered trucks, dont see the point. if you want to lower something buy a car. trucks are meant to be work horses on and offroad

Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 PM
gjmoran
Captain

Originally Posted by Altair
Some people love the lifted off-road look, some love a lowered street truck look, personally I'm a fan of both so long as it's well executed. For someone that doesn't go offroading 20's work very well on our trucks when going for a street truck look. Lower profile sidewalls are stiffer and help a little on the handling and if the truck is lowered upsizing the rims almost always helps the look (within reason of course).

You can fit 265/50R20 tires on these trucks with no rubbing, that's over 5" of sidewall. In my mind at least that's more than enough to protect the rims from on road hazards, especially with tires designed to carry the weight of trucks and SUVs (of course I don't fall into the group that aims for every pothole in the road either). Personally I can't stand to see rim/tire combinations that end up with skinny rubber band tires but you can definitely set up a 20" rim/tire combination that fits on our trucks and gives a healthy looking sidewall ratio.
so there is 100% no rubbing with that size tire? thats pretty big. what size tire is that inch wise? 32? 33?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by gjmoran
so there is 100% no rubbing with that size tire? thats pretty big. what size tire is that inch wise? 32? 33?
Roughly 30.5" according to discount tire's online tire calculator.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A few guys have 265/50/20 without any rubbing.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
V8MANual
Captain

What do they say about opinions and a$$holes; Everybody's except mine stinks?

Quick Reply: What's the Fascination?