3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

PCM Reset Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
SKIFFYA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Reset Question

Okay, so I've done a couple things to my truck. Added a magnaflow muffler (1/1), Bully Dog 40410, 20 in. Trans Cooler, and tried playing around with some Spectre applications. The Spectre (no heat shield) was producing too much heat soak, so I went back to stock. That being said, I have a K&N 63-1546 CAI kit on the way. It has the heat shield so I'm hoping the results will be a little better than the Spectre...well maybe ALOT better.

To the point...

Been reading about our PCM's adaptive learning abilities and that the PCM should be reset after certain engine mods. I have found a thread on how to reset the Hemi Pcm, however it is much different then some of the other threads I've been reading, like just disconnecting the battery and turning the key to run for 30 seconds...

Does anyone know how to properly reset the PCM on an 08 Dakota? Can anyone testify to its benefits?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Remove the batter cables for about 30 min then try to start it with cables still removed. Put the cables back on and start it.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Mine runs like a totally different truck when I reset the PCM. I disconnect the battery overnight about once a month.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI: remove the negative battery cable, turn ignition to the start position and hold it for 30 seconds, turn igniyion off, remove key, reconnect the battery cable, start and stop truck 3 times, on the 3rd time, leave truck running for 5 minutes or so, truck will relearn new air intake maps and other peramiters, take truck for a BEATING, dont baby it, and it should run very well for you!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
SKIFFYA

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks very much for the info!
I'll let y'all know the results once I get the intake installed.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM
SKIFFYA

It's been a week since getting back home. Not much to note about resetting the pcm. The new intake is pretty wicked. Prob need to go with the Superchips and ditch the BD. BD is nice when it comes to monitoring, though.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM
peejoe
Default also have 08 dakota

Originally Posted by SKIFFYA
It's been a week since getting back home. Not much to note about resetting the pcm. The new intake is pretty wicked. Prob need to go with the Superchips and ditch the BD. BD is nice when it comes to monitoring, though.
hello..
I also have a 08 Dakota... and I am trying to get whatever i can out of her for performance...I found another way of resetting the pcm without turning a wrench...just take out the pcm fuse and turn key to start but don't start it.. put the fuse back in and start the truck..you have now just wiped the pcm.. this is from a Chrysler tech.. I don't think you should drive her hard .. I just do not think that there is any gain to it ...

Quick Reply: PCM Reset Question