3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Odd buzzing from exterior...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
xDakotaDogx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd buzzing from exterior...

Hey guys, I have a very very annoying problem that I hope you can help with. When I get above ~50mph I start to hearing what sounds like a buzzing, either a bee sound or similar coming from, what I can tell is the engine area, or at least the front part of the vehicle. Air turbulence greatly effects it, as in if I drive with no traffic in front of me I hear it more then if I drive behind someone, however it can still be heard. Also it can be different on a windy day compared to a calm day. It's not a sound that increases or decreases audibly either. It's either there or not there, and again only is heard if I'm above ~50mph.

By the way, this is an '08 Quad Cab 4x4 V6.

I could write a wall of text telling you where I've looked for something at, but all I can say is I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. Please, by all means give me some ideas, maybe I haven't looked there or done that yet.

Whether you already have an idea or not, you can take this into consideration. It may or may not have absolutely anything to do with it but.......the first day it started I had just came out from a high pressure auto wash. So there, that could possibly help and maybe not at all.

Thanks, guys.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Hey DakDog, welcome to the forum. vibration issues can be tough to solve because you can't ride outside the truck or in the engine compartment. but, sounds like some body part got loosened by the car wash and the buzz may be wind vibration. check inner fenders as they are plastic, and any other plastic body parts, such as the air scoop under front bumper. go over it with a fine tooth comb, look for loose or missing plastic push pins, wiring clips, etc. a 50 mph wind is pretty stong and can vibrate things you might normally think are pretty stiff or solid. good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

start removing parts untill the noise stops. hehe. like deer hunter said start checking plastic parts like the front grill etc.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
xDakotaDogx

I've tripled checked the grill, nothing there. I did look under the truck a couple times but I'll definitely look again. Thanks for the ideas! I'll be sure to post if I find anything, but feel free to anyone else to keep giving me ideas. This is incredibly annoying!

Thanks

Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

welcome to the forum! do you have a bug shield or vent shades? check them to see if they might be coming loose.... Sounds can be misleading also....I had a similar issue but it turned out to be one of the bed rail covers (tape on) and it was coming loose but I could not isolate it until I actually saw it moving one day when I happened to look in the side mirror at the right time....

Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for a paper/tape label (as in what is on a vacuum hose/wire harness, or even old dry leaves in your cowl or inner fenders. Buzzing noises are something "thin", where rattles are "thick"...get it?

Best of luck finding it!

Also, I have heard of windshield seals causing the same issue

Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 AM
TomZ
Professional

The RF ventshade was causing this on mine. A little cleaning and some new 3M Body Tape and all is well. Check the windshield trim too.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Brand
Professional

Another vote for checking the rubber strip around the windshield.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
xDakotaDogx

I do have a bug shield, and have checked (and tightened it) several times. No vent shades. I will check the windshield trim, as well as any sticker/label.

Thanks guys...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
David N

The plastic cowling under the windshield buzzes on mine. It is held on with plastic screws. Replacing the screws on mine helped some.

Quick Reply: Odd buzzing from exterior...