3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

bad wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM
ballsout
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad wheel bearing

i obviously have a bad wheel bearing in my truck right now and have no idea from what wheel the humming sound is coming from. im 90% sure its a rear one so i will probably just do both because if one is bad im sure the other wont be far behind.
do our bearings need to be pressed in or can i do this at home?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not that i know of. they shouldnt be.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure the outer bearings are a tight fit on the axle tube. I know you have to pull the axle shaft out. You might need a bearing puller and something to pound it back in straight with.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

get a chiltons or haynes repair manual, or the manual in the sticky section here. It's not rocket science to replace a rear wheel bearing, but you do have to open the rear diff and remove the c clip so you can pull the axle out, then you have to have one of those internal bearing pullers, most auto parts stores will rent you one. Depending on how bad the bearing is or if it has damaged the axle shaft or axle tube, might have to get a repair bearing. The bearings can be tapped in.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
get a chiltons or haynes repair manual, or the manual in the sticky section here. It's not rocket science to replace a rear wheel bearing, but you do have to open the rear diff and remove the c clip so you can pull the axle out, then you have to have one of those internal bearing pullers, most auto parts stores will rent you one. Depending on how bad the bearing is or if it has damaged the axle shaft or axle tube, might have to get a repair bearing. The bearings can be tapped in.
Yes sir. You nailed it. I just did this a week ago. Wasn't bad if you have decent mechanical aptitude (sp)

Quick Reply: bad wheel bearing