3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Superchips questions for 08+

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM
SKIFFYA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I'm heading to Summit Racing in the morning. They're stocked up! 80 miles from the house, and DOT plans to shut down Atlanta this weekend...should be a fun drive!!! LOL

Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

*cough:burnout vid:cough*

Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM
JimBio
Professional

IMO the truck is still a puss between idle and 3000rpm, you just know the computer is holding back power. While the superchips makes it really fun to drive and lots of power it doesn't get rid of that off idle bog, but helps it. Most throttle cable driven trucks have that low end grunt (not to mention pushrod engines) but our trucks have a gain in the higher rpm power band. You just have to play catch up in races

Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Yes, but it is an extra cost.
Extra cost? Different programmer number? Can you get custom programs for the Superchips? My target is to eliminate the lag from idle. I would rather control traction with my foot. Every time the LSD chirps a tire, it pulls power hard. Merging with traffic in a turn is a roll of the dice because of the lag. It's downright unpredictable.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 PM
JimBio
Professional

Is this the same Barkleyfan from the old delphi r/t board?

"Jimmysausage" here. heh

Your not going to be able to get full power off the line even with superchips, the pcm just takes the breath out of the truck if it detects wheel spin. If you to do a powerbrake and take off it acts like an entire different animal. The power is there we just have not tapped into it yet.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 PM
SKIFFYA

As JimBio said, the truck is def. still a puss on the low end. I even bought the trans tune upgrade and played around with it. Superchips is still better than BD for our trucks. I reduced the TM following the guide in the sticky, but our schedule is different than the 07 and older trucks, so I tried best I could.

If any of you 08+ guys have a shift schedule/TM settings that works well, I'm all ears! Or any tips at all for that fact!!! lol

Old 07-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

Yeah Jim, its me. Can anyone flash the pcm like they did with or old trucks? This issue is my only complaint with this truck. I have a transfer case if I want traction. Don't even care about being able to light the tires, I just want consistency from the gas pedal.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM
JimBio
Professional

Do an advanced search on SCT Tuner for the 3rd Gen Dakota, I have heard they can do a little more with the torque management. I don't know much more as far as details on the tune other then it's more of a custom setup.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
SKIFFYA

So the torque is bumped up @ 2000 ish rpms doing 80 mph. That's on the 93 tune. Man I didn't even realize the sweet spot was that high on that tune! I figured it out about half way home from work. Was kinda lagging the foothills between 70 and 75 due to merging traffic. Had to throttle up a little to get by an 18 wheeler. While passing the truck I heard "that tone." Noted speed...noted mpg...noted NO "cai 4 barrel" sound when going up the long foot hills! She was just prrrrrrrrrrrring along. 19.6 mpg and CLIMBING once I got off the interstate!

We all know how our trucks drive, and can def. note sudden changes in any way it drives/handles...this was one of those sudden changes. I will keep an eye on it just to make sure it's not a fluke!

I generally struggle to keep 18 mpg (overall average). I REALLY have to baby it to keep in the 18's...extremely boring if you know what I mean.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

lol I was commuting 100 miles a day for work. I quickly realized 55 mph got me an average of 22mpg, while 70 mph got me in the mid 17's. The extra 10 minutes each way was worth it.

Quick Reply: Superchips questions for 08+