3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Superchips questions for 08+

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 PM
SKIFFYA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips questions for 08+

Hey guys, I've had the Bully Dog Gas Tuner for a while now and find it is only good for vitals viewing. The tunes it comes with are crap for the money. All of you seem to be happy with the Superchips can. Even though the Gen III trucks are prior 08 as well, the 08+ 4.7 revisions seem to separate us (crank) when it comes to torque/hp.

Before I purchased my truck, I spent alot of time researching the late models (Dodge, Ford, Chevy etc...). I was looking at critical data (for me) such as dyno charts, customer feedback, reviews, forums (how I found this one), gears, weight etc...

Have owned a couple Dakota's in the past (3.9 and 4.7), had an 04 Hemi, and my Father has owned a Durango since 01 (4.7 with great torque). I've also owned 99' and 06' Z71 with the 5.3. I'm all about towing torque due to my hobby. Most of the time I'm towing my boat during the weekends. Plenty of foothills here in north georgia. The Hemi surprised me as it had great acceleration, but lost big time on towing torque...just not enough down low where you need it most. Would have bought a truck with lower gears if I knew it was going to struggle. Both 5.3's were the same way.

Anyway, back in Feb. I found out the 08+ Dakotas were putting out more Torque/HP so I focused on them. I know how the older models handle, so was POSITIVE this was the truck for me! Found my truck sitting on a used car lot about 30 miles from the house and bought it.

For the last six months, I've tested the truck thoroughly. WOT runs, economy runs, mountain towing and long distance towing. When it comes to towing, she is a little shy at first, however an hour into it and she's getting an attitude. Def. the best towing truck I've ever owned once it has adjusted to the conditions.

As for the 300/330 ish...its sad. Just not there...or is it? I know we're going to lose a chunk before it hits pavement. I've seen the pitiful dyno charts for the 08+. After my experiences, I'm wondering how different my dyno numbers would be from local driving, to getting one done after I have had a long towing trip...am I making any sense? I just can't see them being the same, however I have been wrong before!

Ok, I've rambled long enough. For you 08+ 4.7 guys, is the Superchips worth it? Gains? Have you tried a couple different tuners for the same truck? Bullydog AINT cutting it and you can't find any hard data.

P.S. This thread was inspired after doing a 1/4 mile run with the BD logging. With premium tune, cai and exhaust...slower than stock! 16.2 and 8.2 to 60mph. I'm hoping the BD is off just a tad!

Last edited by SKIFFYA; 07-14-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SKIFFYA
P.S. This thread was inspired after doing a 1/4 mile run with the BD logging. With premium tune, cai and exhaust...slower than stock! 16.2 and 8.2 to 60mph. I'm hoping the BD is off just a tad!
alot can influnce that, temp, tire pressure, and how the stars are aligned. i ran like a high 16 once in my HO.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 PM
rengnath
Champion

MrCrash had an 08 (he has a 2010 Ram R/T now) and he swore by the SC tuner for it. You will find alot of good reviews for the throttle response that is improved with the tuner. Your 08 is a drive-by-wire so the computer alters what your foot wants the engine to do to improve fuel economy and smooth out the ride. Superchips alters this and makes the DBW system more acurate to your foot.

Other than that, the tuner is also opening up more power to the ground. My SC tuner adds 18rwhp, and in all honesty you can feel it. I think the 08 SC tuner is up in the +28-30rwhp on 93 octane gas.

Best of all; the shift schedules! If you have ever felt that your transmission shifting just seems to make the truck feel like a dog, the new shift schedules will change this for you. It will make you hold in gears longer (which some dont like) but it allows you to use the power through a gear instead of getting in to over drive before you even hit 40mph. The worst thing about my truck stock was if I didnt floor it stock, and I tried flooring it while accelerating at 30mph, it would go no where because it would stick in 2nd gear all the way to 80mph. Now, if I floor it before 40mph, I shift in to first. Its aggressive, but when I floor it, I want to go.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
JimBio
Professional

Night and Day difference with the superchips, I find the truck unacceptable to drive unless I have the 93 tune installed. Tried going back once but couldn't take the lower power.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by JimBio
Night and Day difference with the superchips, I find the truck unacceptable to drive unless I have the 93 tune installed. Tried going back once but couldn't take the lower power.
haha...i put mine back to stock a few weeks ago and was like OMG this sux!!! I cant believe I drove it like that for 6 months before getting the superchips...

Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

putting my truck to stock feels like im driving a geo metro.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

Does the Superchips reduce torque management? I would assume it does with increased throttle response, but thought I'd ask. 700 horse doesn't mean much if the computer just dials it back.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Yes, but it is an extra cost.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
dodgedkota08
Rookie

I have an 08 sport with the 4.7 and the superchips helped out a ton. I have mine set on 91+ tune and love it, it gets rid of that HUGE bog down between 2nd and 3rd I think it is. I love superchips it's the second one I've owned. I used to own on for my 00 4.7 dakota and that tuner was great too. With that tune, a cai, cat back exhaust and most all of my fluids changed over to royal purple I'm getting 18.5-18.9mpg (VT highway driving, not interstate)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

A sonnex line pressure booster will also help.

Quick Reply: Superchips questions for 08+