3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

No boost!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 AM
remme
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No boost!

My truck was running fine w/ 8psi, a little rich but still making boost. Get in it today after getting it registered, the truck sounded normal, idled normal, cruised normal, but when I put a load on it, I saw no boost. Ive grown accostumed to the turbo swoosh as it spools up, I heard none of that either. Got under the truck and theres a nice amount of oil dripping from the compressor housing. Im also seeing more white smoke than normal. Did I blow my seals and would that cause the absolute loss of boost? I checked for boost leaks, I checked for exhaust leaks. Everything is working nominally minus the swoosh from the turbo. Im losing the battle for my sanity with this truck. Please help!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it sounds like your seals are shot. Check the shaft play and lets go from there. This does not explain the "no boost" problem. I know you did a boost leak test the other day, but I would do one now and verify.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 PM
remme
Professional

Absolutely no shaft play, boost leak test done and no leaks. I did however find that one of my expensive *** jegs" dual latch" exhaust clamps, snapped on the top side where I couldnt see it and it was causeing a huge exhaust leak. Have to wait for the exhaust to cool down before I can touch it. I dont think the seals on the turbo are shot. I just think it was pooling in the turbo because the turbo wasnt under a load. Haha at least thats what Im telling myself....Ill let ya know if its the exhaust leak.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Was the leak pre-turbo or post-turbo?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:27 AM
remme
Professional

Pre turbo, and it was huge. Imagine where the collector from ur y pipe meets the rest of ur exhaust and now imagine them completely separated, that's what I had. I checked the Wastegate and the turbo flange and no leaks there. I'm hoping me fixing the collector issue is what was causing the lack of spooling. Unfortunately its pouring in nj so ill have to wait and see

Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by remme
Pre turbo, and it was huge. Imagine where the collector from ur y pipe meets the rest of ur exhaust and now imagine them completely separated, that's what I had. I checked the Wastegate and the turbo flange and no leaks there. I'm hoping me fixing the collector issue is what was causing the lack of spooling. Unfortunately its pouring in nj so ill have to wait and see
Ok, that is clearly the cause of "no boost". Good luck with that one man. Hopefully you get the oil leak figured out. Keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Like Donkey said, if your exhaust pipes are unattached at some point before the turbo then that would clearly be the reason for the boost leak.

As far as the oil leak, I had my oil circulating through my turbo for about a week before I hooked up my exhaust to the turbo without a single leak. When I hooked up the exhaust to the turbo and it actually started spooling its when it started leaking oil.

So no, I don’t think your oil leak it’s due to a non spooling turbo.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
remme
Professional

nah, it leaked at my restrictor and dripped down the compressor housing, has since been fixed

Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

have you been able to fix the exhaust leak yet?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Originally Posted by ericemery
have you been able to fix the exhaust leak yet?
X2 keep us posted!

I get the rebuilt turbo tomorrow. I cant wait to get this project done!

Quick Reply: No boost!