3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

cai, speed dens. mountains, trailers.. OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Blu3P0ny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cai, speed dens. mountains, trailers.. OUCH

Ok, so, pulling a small boat trailer + a CAI + a stupid automatic + plugs that are probably too hot cuz they were recommended by AutoZone + mountains of almost 3000 feet (so the sign says) + 100* temperatures outside... kill my truck.

I was popping, a cylinder misfire I assume, so I took it REALLY easy. Then I blew a tire on the trailer and had to go find a place to get a new tire since the guy I bought it from didn't have a spare. I found an autozone on the way, so I pulled in after repairing the tire and go the code read. Misfire on #2. Pulled the plug and it was basically welded together. SO, replaced that one and #1 as well, which really looked fine, but figured I'd pulled it so i might as well change it. Threw in colder plugs... 3922 autolites.

HOPEFULLY that's all it is. I was still really really down on power, so today I'm going to change ALL plugs, BUT, anyone else have any suggestions as to what went wrong? How to avoid it?

The guy at autozone in the mountains new exactly what plug it was, what vehicle i was driving and which plug to give me... which was 2 whole ranges cooler!!!! That's a big jump, but the guy lives up there, so he would probably know.

Should I get 3922's? Was looking at 3923's. Stock was 3924's.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM
BIGDummby

How different plug heat ranges can be used for different applications would be some good information.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

Well, with Speed density, we measure how dense the air is, NOT how much O2 is in the air. In the mountains, there is less O2. So, the spark and fuel is off as far as I know. The cooler plugs help it to not detonate as fast, like, when you have a lack of 02 in the motor... That's the only reasoning I"ve come up with anyways.
I have a CAI as well, but that just allows it to have more air, not more 02 % per volume.

Quick Reply: cai, speed dens. mountains, trailers.. OUCH