3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Experts: Catch Can Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM
remme
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experts: Catch Can Install

So, am I right in this assumption on how a sealed catch can is installed on a 4.7l:

Pvc valve to the inlet of the catch can. Outlet of the catch can goes to a fresh air source pre-turbo i.e. the air filter intake tube. Then the fresh air breather from the back of either valve cover also goes to the air filter intake tube, pre-turbo.....?

If Im wrong, which is highly likely, please set my sh*t straight, ha.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
remme
Professional

or even better, guys with 08's, where do your pcv valves vent into the intake manifold? I have an 05' with an 08' intake and my pcv valve was left venting into the engine bay area. Couldnt I run the outlet of the catch can right to the intake mani, or would running it to the pre turbo air intake be better?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by remme
So, am I right in this assumption on how a sealed catch can is installed on a 4.7l:

Pvc valve to the inlet of the catch can. Outlet of the catch can goes to a fresh air source pre-turbo i.e. the air filter intake tube. Then the fresh air breather from the back of either valve cover also goes to the air filter intake tube, pre-turbo.....?

If Im wrong, which is highly likely, please set my sh*t straight, ha.
You run both the PCV and valve cover vents to the catch can. Then run a line from the catch can to the pre-turbo intake pipe.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
remme
Professional

Ahhh, I guess you T them together before the catch can? because there is only one inlet?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
You run both the PCV and valve cover vents to the catch can. Then run a line from the catch can to the pre-turbo intake pipe.
Running both to a vacuum source doesn't allow fresh air to circulate into the crank case.

Quick Reply: Experts: Catch Can Install