3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Electrical Problem and I need quick info HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Zombifyd
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem and I need quick info HELP

Hey everybody! Finally my first problem has come, and just shy of a full year of owning it.
I'll get right to it. Yesterday I went to my truck and started it with no problem, then when I realized I has almost no gas, I turned it off instead of letting it Idle for the next 15 minutes until I had to clock out of work. So right before I went to clock out, I went to start my truck and the truck would not start. It just made a loud clicking noise. I had it jumped and all was fine. I stopped and got gas and went home. 2 hours later I went outside to check it out and it started just fine. This morning I went to start it and nothing... I had to jump it again and on my way to work I rolled down my windows. When I got to work, I went to close the windows, still with the engine running and they wouldn't go down. I turned the truck off and back on again and the windows went up no problem. Now I"m at the dealer typing this and I'm hoping its not the battery because its not covered under warranty and they will charge me 200+ for a battery change and then if I opt not to do so its just 120 for a diagnostic charge... So if anyone thinks/or knows its just a faulty battery, I will find an excuse to take my truck home and do it myself. I have no ride home anyways and waiting for them to find me a loaner...
SO PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I would have taken it by autozone or something and had them test the battery for free, that way you would have at least known. Now your kinda stuck...Battery is what I would expect, or a bad connection, did you check the battery connections first? Mine did that once, for no reason the negative battery connector just loosened itself and I had all kids of weird, unrelated electrical issues...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Zombifyd
Professional

So I weaseled my way out of the dealership with my truck, saying I'll bring it back tomorrow. So during my lunch break I'll go to autozone and check everything, then if need be I'll head to the dealer!! lol
Thank you though!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I would bet its a battery too...

My truck actually set off the Check Engine light when I nearly drained my battery once... any check engine lights? The code it read basically pointed to a faulty alternator communication/low battery level or somethign of that nature.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

No lights at all. But I'll get it tested. I was reading a thread last night about different batteries, without me going back to it... anyone wanna point me in the right direction to a decnt battery. Lol
Thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I picked up an 'Autocraft Gold #65-2' battery at Advanced Auto last year, no problems with it.

If you go online for store pickup, put code VISA for $30 off.

Last edited by dakotaff; 10-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

imo most lead acid batteries are comparable nowadays. I just look for one that has the required CCA's and the most life (warranty) for the best price.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My factory battery took a dump two weeks ago. Not bad for 5 and a half years of extreme temperature change. I replaced it with an Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto Parts.

For you, like everyone else said, go to a parts store and have the battery and chargine system checked for free. Go to Advance, Vatozone's employees are always angry at something. At Advance, you will get away with half the cost you would pay at the dealer.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Zombifyd
Professional

Then to advanced auto after work!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family has always had good luck with the NAPA Gold batteries.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem and I need quick info HELP