3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Running really hot when A/C is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running really hot when A/C is on

It seems as my truck runs fairly warmer when the A/C is running than without. On the temp gauge about 3/4 up. When I turn the A/C off it goes back down to 1/2.

It also seems that the A/c isn't getting very cold like it should.

Just looking for some possible causes. Thanks

Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would say that maybe the clutch fan is not working correctly but that doesnt make sense. the ac compressor does put a fair bit of load on the motor when it's on. I almost want to say that the problem may exist in the ac compressor itself or perhaps the condensor.

Just thought of something else too. open the hood and look very closely at the radiator and condensor and make sure that they are clear. i see in your sig pic you like to play in the mud a little and if the radiator was not able to work properly because its too dirty that could cause your problem.

if that looks ok then find the waterpump on the front of the motor and see if there is any coolant leaking around it anywhere.

Start with the radiator though. may wanna spray it down as a place to start..

Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Barkleyfan
Rookie

I experienced similar issues with my 98. Turned out that while everything visible on the condenser and radiator were fairly clean, there was a lot of crap between the two. Good idea to pull them apart and check before you start throwing money at it.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
gjmoran
Captain

mine started to do this since i changed out the stock intake for a cheapo ebay cai, its because its not getting lower temp outside air, just sucking in all the hot engine air

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

but seriously. clean your radiator.. and your condenser. let me know if need pictures.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 PM
TomZ
Professional

I have a couple of knucklehead neighbors. K-head neighbor #1 takes his stock 2WD F150 out mudding. It's now overheating. K-head neighbor #2 says: The condenser and radiator are packed with dirt, it needs to be cleaned out. No problem so far. The solution? #2 fires up his pressure washer and "cleans" out the debris by hitting the front of the truck with the high pressure stream. Actually no, not really. Now some very clean tiny rocks and dirt are firmly embedded in the fins. The fins are now peened over the debris by the water stream. Oops! New condenser and radiator. A couple of days later, he tells me the truck died. Long story short, K-head #2 "cleaned" the dirt... with the pressure washer... wait for it... while the truck was running. The alternator is toast. Those two are a laugh a minute. One day I'll tell about them asking to use my engine hoist to tilt an outboard motor up after disconnecting the power tilt.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
QuadDodge02
Professional

Mine does that when I am towing only. Are u towing or just drving?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

Id go with dirty ac condensor and radiator. Might be a good time to take care of the cooling system with a flush, new thermostatand fresh coolant.

If you continue to have issues I would suspect the fan clutch is on its way out. Might be time dir an hhr e- fan upgrade.

Quick Reply: Running really hot when A/C is on