3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Lower and Upper Rad Supports

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Lower and Upper Rad Supports

Just ordered new Upper and Lower Supports. My Lower one is VERY badly rusted. The Upper one only added $7.50 to the shipping (plus its cost obviously) so I figured might as well get it.

Should be here in 3-7 days according to rockauto, but it will take around 14 (2 weeks) because customs I bet. Im working nights 4 days a week (Mon-Thur) for the next 4 weeks.

Im hoping it doesnt get cold, or worse snow before I can get them on, or its going to have to wait till next summer.

This is what I assume mine will look like.
The pic is the Lower Rad support on my old 2000 Dakota. I had to replace the entire front on it (accident), It just folded when I took it off.

Accident

During:

After (and yes that is the backrack that is now on my 05 to)

All the time stamps are WRONG, lol

Had to replace, Both Fenders, Hood, Grille + Bracket, Both Beadlights and Turn Signals, Upper and lower Radiator Supports and the Radiator.
Bumper only had a scratch, I painted it like a month before the accident. Then the week after I got it back on the road, I was nearly rear ended. Which would been nice, the box was a POS, Rusted with huge holes on both sides.

I figured everyone like pictures so atleast I gave you some.. of my old one haha

Last edited by Reject; 10-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Well got the new ones from rockauto today. Must say im VERY surprised to have got them in a week, and with no customs fees (I live in Canada)

Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

be sure to take pics of the install. I love Rock auto, I ordered some stuff on Thursday this week and they were delivered today.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Well the cold has come, and with me working nights in another province. I havnt had time to get it painted, or on.
I plan to paint it in bedliner, so that stupid design doesn't rust out again.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if it is a 3.7L thing with the supports rusting out. I have seen a lot of them do it. Mine were about as bad as your pic. I inspected every inch of them and because I'm cheap (yes I'm 21 and very careful with my money, shocking I know) cut out the bad spots and took some flat stock, or aka flat bar lol, and welded them in sand blasted the supports and por 15 them.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 AM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are also rotted. It's cheap china metal, plus the way they preped it sealed it. I'm prob just going to chop it off and weld a new bracket in there

Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Backwoods18
I wonder if it is a 3.7L thing with the supports rusting out. I have seen a lot of them do it. Mine were about as bad as your pic. I inspected every inch of them and because I'm cheap (yes I'm 21 and very careful with my money, shocking I know) cut out the bad spots and took some flat stock, or aka flat bar lol, and welded them in sand blasted the supports and por 15 them.
Mines actually rusted OFF. The bottem part where the Rad actually rests on, is only held inplace by a few strands and the plastic under it.

New one wasnt to much shipped, Got the upper. But mines fine, only $30 + 7.50 shipping so.

Im also 21, My 05 is actually my first vehical. The White 2000 in the pics was my parents. untill it needed ALL 4 ball joints. Sold it, lol. I found mine cheap and bought it.

Quick Reply: New Lower and Upper Rad Supports