3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fog Lights with High Beams DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill just live with my fogs turning off, I try to prevent splicing anything.

Also from what I know, Where the Relay is grounded to is unimportant isnt it? You can just ground it to a body ground, or such.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything should be grounded to the frame. I told you it was a rough sketch.

You would also need to add a fuse between the battery and the relay, probably run a 12v hot to each fog because I doubt you will find the spot before the T for the fogs, and so on.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rengnath
Everything should be grounded to the frame. I told you it was a rough sketch.

You would also need to add a fuse between the battery and the relay, probably run a 12v hot to each fog because I doubt you will find the spot before the T for the fogs, and so on.
15 Amp Fuse and 30 or 40 Amp Relay?

Also guys, You can buy 12" Extensions from the factory harness to the light and splice into that instead of the harness at the lights to for your Hot.

They are actually designed for higher watt bulbs, Higher gauge cable.

I use them, But thats because I had 4 of them, and got to lazy to unwrap the stock wires when I installed my fogs. Also used one for my beacon light and a waterproof disconnect.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Made up a diagram
Used a post HammerZ71 posted https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nd-relays.html

You dont need the Extensions (They are plug and play) I would tho for easy removal.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Ueland
Veteran

Your over thinking all this stuff...

You can just run a wire from the highbeam, to the trigger for the foglight relay... put a diode inline with the wire so the current would only flow one way.

only downside to your whole plan would be that regardless of whether the foglight switch was on or off, the foglights would actuate every time you turned on the highbeams, including durring the day if you just flashed them.

if your more interested in the one wire solution I can go look at the fuse box later and see exactly what you'd need to do for minimal tampering with the factory wiring.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ueland
Your over thinking all this stuff...

You can just run a wire from the highbeam, to the trigger for the foglight relay... put a diode inline with the wire so the current would only flow one way.

only downside to your whole plan would be that regardless of whether the foglight switch was on or off, the foglights would actuate every time you turned on the highbeams, including durring the day if you just flashed them.

if your more interested in the one wire solution I can go look at the fuse box later and see exactly what you'd need to do for minimal tampering with the factory wiring.
My way above, you only Tap into the "Factory" wiring in 1 spot - the High Beam Hot.

Your way would be simpler, Jumping from the High Beam to the Fog Relay at the fuse box. I never knew about putting a diode in for 1 way current either.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Ueland
Veteran

Originally Posted by Reject
My way above, you only Tap into the "Factory" wiring in 1 spot - the High Beam Hot.

Your way would be simpler, Jumping from the High Beam to the Fog Relay at the fuse box. I never knew about putting a diode in for 1 way current either.
Thats cause We haven't released diode technology to canada...

We're also holding back several other technologies until we get a more substantial "Tim Horton's" presence in the United States...

Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ueland
Thats cause We haven't released diode technology to canada...

We're also holding back several other technologies until we get a more substantial "Tim Horton's" presence in the United States...
haha, Between my house and my work 10min (Mostly Highway) There is 7-8 of them and there is no exit from where I get on and off the highway... there is 4 in my town on 1 street, not even 3k apart, 3 within 200 feet of each other

Last edited by Reject; 11-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
whollysheet

just pull your relay and put a jumper in thats all i did and they work low and hi

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by whollysheet
just pull your relay and put a jumper in thats all i did and they work low and hi
please elaborate....

Quick Reply: Fog Lights with High Beams DIY