3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Long time no see all, Auburn LSD question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Long time no see all, Auburn LSD question.

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted anything and I haven't been reading the forum much lately either. I just have a quick simple question before I start my first project with my '05

I'm going to get an Auburn LSD from eBay, just like the one Blown got for his. My question is, do I need to get the master install kit that he got too? Or is that just for the 3.55 he was installing at the same time? Also, what else should I get for the procedure as well?

I'm a newbie at vehicle mechanics, but I'm really good with my hands so I'm pretty sure that time an patience will prevail for me here. I just need a starting point is all.

Thanks in advance, and glad to see at least some of you are still keeping your trucks.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Install kit only needed for a ring & pinion swap...

Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Install kit only needed for a ring & pinion swap...

Thanks for responding. Your post was a lot more beneficial than you might think. Your well used "..." at the end effected me on a psychological level and I realized that this is a much more advanced project than I originally thought. I'm glad I researched that a bit more before starting to tear it all apart.

Now I'm going to eat my words, and my budget. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to have it installed.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how much for the install? i need a new lsd too.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thunder98110
how much for the install? i need a new lsd too.
One place said 550, I dropped a turd at that quote, and he even said "barring any incidentals."

Next place I tried was much more reasonable, he said no more than 300 labor plus the price of new bearings and seal so 450 at the VERY VERY most assuming my pinion seal is fine. But he pretty much said it won't go over 375.

Does anyone know if our 9.25s have shims or adjustment screws?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

So I dropped the truck off yesterday and once they got it torn apart, they saw my pinion seal is actually leaking and that my carrier bearings were pretty scarred.

Then I remember I got that dealer warranty 6/100k and the shop owner said he can work with them to get my whole rear end overhauled, and I will only have to pay for about an hour of labor for installing the Auburn.

So he called the warranty provider to get them to give authorization based on a "noise" I heard, which is actually true but I just figured it was the one slightly older tire that I'm running. He says, from my description of the sound, it could have very well been the rear end.

But.. then he calls me back to let me know what's going on and tells me the warranty provider doesn't want to cover it because it's still under the longer 7/70000 powertrain warranty from Dodge. But they gave him authorization to tear it apart yesterday so he's trying to convince them to cover it.

The issue I see here though, is that I don't even think I'm covered under the 7/70000 since I'm at least the 3rd owner. The warranty info here on page "9" https://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/war...f/DAKOTA05.pdf says that the warranty can be transfered from the first ownership for a fee of $150, but it also says only the second owner is eligible for that transfer.

Bit of a pain in the *** but the shop owner is really working hard for me it seems, I work nights so I can use the wife's car. That way I can have pink baby booties hanging from rear view.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

So I got my truck back yesterday, man what a difference it makes in cornering. It's almost reluctant to have the wheels spin and different speeds. But when you goose it, there is such a better "planted" feeling going straight or cornering. The inner wheel still spins a bit, but there is a boatload of power still left for the outside wheel. Impressed.

My warrenty thing went over finally. I just had to convince those douches that Dodge won't cover a 3rd owner on the 7/70000.

Quick Reply: Long time no see all, Auburn LSD question.