3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

oil feild dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
frozenchosen1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil feild dakota

Hey just wondering if my truck would last or make it in camp sites around and north of fort MAC in northern Alberta. With new off road tires of course. Have heard lots of guys saying need a truck with a lift.

Would love your opinions, will be there 5 months starting January. Replacing 3000 toilets.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
skybox
Amateur
Default yep

I'd say you'll probably want a couple more inches. my dakota with 16 inch wheels sits lower than other trucks i've owned in the past. I've been taking the truck hunting in the mountains where i'm from (montana) and if i'm not carefull its easy to scrape bottom where i would normally not worry about it in my toyota. I can't imagine that you'll not run into some pretty hairy spots in north alberta. There are lots of lakes and wet spots so i'd guess there is alot of potential for deeply rutted roads.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
DM_kota
Professional

well, To be 100% honest, these are good trucks but they can be a PITA to work on, Not sure yet how the 10' dakotas are, but the ball joints and whole front end in these are not so great OEM... so ball joints (upper and lower) and swaybar links will take a beating...so if you havent now, you will replace them most likley after you get back.

Someone step in and tell me if they upgraded OEM stuff on the 08+ models to better stuff ...

these trucks can use a leveling kit in the front (2") but there is nothing aftermarket about a lift other than a body... which might work out for you if you put a 2" body lift on it and a leveling kit... might work out.

Like I said, these are good tough trucks, but the unsupported front end IFS makes them a bit softer than the other options.

Last edited by DM_kota; 11-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
EliteTempleton
Veteran

Originally Posted by DM_kota
Someone step in and tell me if they upgraded OEM stuff on the 08+ models to better stuff ...
I read on here that the bushings are better/thicker but otherwise, no I don't think they've been upgraded.

Luckily we have projektdirtfab working on upgrades for us.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Projktdirt has made some hiem joints to replace the stock tie rod ends. I also believe we can get moog upper and lower ball joints, but I haven't purchased any.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by Cuban11182
I also believe we can get moog upper and lower ball joints, but I haven't purchased any.
Yes, I have the lowers installed. The uppers you have to buy the whole control arm, which Moog also makes. I have those sitting in the garage waiting to go on next week with new struts. Much better than OEM, and greasable as well.

Quick Reply: oil feild dakota