3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding auxiliary input

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Nikolai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back again. If we decide to do an aftermarket stereo, what exactly do we need besides the stereo itself? Crutchfield recommends the Metra XSVI-6502-NAV interface because apparently the trucks require a switched accessory power supply for aftermarket radios. However, it seems like the interface is primarily for adding navigation, which is something we're not interested in. Is there a way to wire it correctly without getting that expensive interface?

The other things it recommends is an antenna adapter and the receiver kit to make it fit in the space. Does this sound right or is there another way to go about it?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
dingdong2
Professional

Originally Posted by Nikolai
Back again. If we decide to do an aftermarket stereo, what exactly do we need besides the stereo itself? Crutchfield recommends the Metra XSVI-6502-NAV interface because apparently the trucks require a switched accessory power supply for aftermarket radios. However, it seems like the interface is primarily for adding navigation, which is something we're not interested in. Is there a way to wire it correctly without getting that expensive interface?

The other things it recommends is an antenna adapter and the receiver kit to make it fit in the space. Does this sound right or is there another way to go about it?
You shouldn't need that interface thing. Aftermarket stereos typically have a power wire (usually yellow wire) and a relay wire (usually red). The power wire will be pulling the current needed to power the stereo. The relay wire is just a relay to turn the stereo on when the vehicle is on (or the key is in ignition, run, or accessory positions). My truck didn't have a 12V while running wire in the radio harness (that I can remember) so I just wired it into the cigarette lighter/power outlet. I'm pretty sure that interface just creates a 12V while running wire (and maybe something else with NAV systems, idk).

You will most likely need the antenna adaptor. I don't think any aftermarket radio will use the chrysler type plug. Here's the one I bought at walmart when I installed my radio. I just cut all the unused plugs off of mine to make more space under the dash.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Ca...er-Kit/3371480

Here's the dash trim kit so the radio will look nice in the dash.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-Da...-Jeep/14667128

I think that's all you will need. I had to buy the cage for my stereo too because I bought it used and it didn't come with the cage but I think they usually do. It only cost like $8 on eBay though so no big deal.

Last edited by dingdong2; 12-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Nikolai

What about something like these kits? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-TRUCK-ST...item53ea6fadb8

Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
dingdong2
Professional

What about something like these kits? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-TRUCK-ST...item53ea6fadb8
I haven't used those but it looks like it includes everything you need. The installation should be the same though. I wish I saw this before I installed mine cuz it's cheap, includes everything, and it would be nice to have that CD compartment below the radio :-P

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a facory radio from an 07 that has an AUX input on the front. If you want it, it's yours for $50. Great condition, no issues at all.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

I wonder if your '07 unit would work in my '02?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by New 2 Dodge
I wonder if your '07 unit would work in my '02?
completely different animals. I'm sure you could get it to work but it would not be a direct fit.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I found a stock radio on ebay out of an 06 that had the aux input for $35. The turned around and sold my original 6 disk changer with no aux input for $50. Actually made money...lol
partz ****

Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

I am getting this for my truck - maybe there is a similar one for your truck.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/p_i_e_chry...469chr2aux.htm

Quick Reply: Adding auxiliary input