3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding auxiliary input

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Nikolai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding auxiliary input

My husband has an 06 Dakota that does not have an aux input. What would be the best (easiest/cheapest) way to add one? I thought that getting a new stereo would be the way to go but I'm confused as to what all is involved with replacing the stereo. What in addition to the stereo do you have to purchase to make it work? Aftermarket radios aren't too expensive themselves but some of the kits I saw on Crutchfield are as much as the stereos themselves. Sorry if this is a stupid question but cars aren't my thing.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 PM
silverbullit
Amateur

I found a cheap stock one on Craigslist that had it but I am not a big fan of aftermarket radios. Don't like having my windows knocked out.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats weird, my 06 ST has a factory aux input. I wonder why yours did not...

Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find used stock radios with the AUX, craigslist is one place. eBay has a few and they start at $25. Probably the cheapest and easiest way to do it if he's comfortable installing a radio. Since it's stock for stock, there's no wiring to worry about, just removing dashboard panels I believe and it's plug and play after that.

An aftermarker one does take more steps, I haven't done one before but I think you need a wiring harness, and some other stuff including a new dash panel to cover the space since after market ones are a different shape.

Another option is to get one of those FM transmitters that transmit from your device to the radio, I got one for 40 bucks when they first came out so I'm sure they are cheaper now. The quality is crappy though mostly.

Last edited by FrenicX; 11-28-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikolai
My husband has an 06 Dakota that does not have an aux input. What would be the best (easiest/cheapest) way to add one? I thought that getting a new stereo would be the way to go but I'm confused as to what all is involved with replacing the stereo. What in addition to the stereo do you have to purchase to make it work? Aftermarket radios aren't too expensive themselves but some of the kits I saw on Crutchfield are as much as the stereos themselves. Sorry if this is a stupid question but cars aren't my thing.
The easiest and cheapest way is to pick up the OEM single CD with aux input 3.5mm plug on the front.

Here is one on Ebay right now, you can see the aux plug up front on the bottom left.
Very simple to swap it out, unplug your stock unit and plug this one right in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-Dodge-..._Video&vxp=mtr

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 AM
dingdong2
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
The easiest and cheapest way is to pick up the OEM single CD with aux input 3.5mm plug on the front.

Here is one on Ebay right now, you can see the aux plug up front on the bottom left.
Very simple to swap it out, unplug your stock unit and plug this one right in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-Dodge-..._Video&vxp=mtr

I've done all of these options at some point in time (FM transmitter, stock w/ aux-in, aftermarket radio, cassette aux-in adaptor, etc). I got a cheap FM transmitter at Walmart for like $12 a couple years ago and it is still working well. The quality isn't as good as when I plug into the aux port but it's not bad so I would recommend that option cuz it's super cheap and easy. My truck actually came with the aux-in port but I use it with other radios/vehicles. I currently have an aftermarket installed though.

If you do decide to go with aftermarket, it's pretty easy to install in these trucks. You need a wiring harness, antenna adaptor, and a dash kit to fit it to the truck. I don't remember how much I paid for all of that but it was cheap at Walmart (maybe $8-$12 each, idk). I paid $22 for the wiring harness somewhere else (BestBuy) because Walmart was sold out of the one I needed and they didn't restock for a while.

Let us know which one you go with and if ya need anymore help.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 AM
dingdong2
Professional

Originally Posted by silverbullit
I found a cheap stock one on Craigslist that had it but I am not a big fan of aftermarket radios. Don't like having my windows knocked out.
I agree but I live and work in a pretty safe area and my head unit is an old (but still fairly decent) Pioneer so I'm not too worried about it. When-ever I go to questionable places, I take my faceplate off. I'm actually in the process of installing a 2-way Viper alarm system. Once I get that installed I will be installing some other fancy stuff too. I didn't want to put in a bunch of expensive stuff in before the alarm to find it all stolen and the windows broken one day.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 AM
rapta619
Professional

My 05 came with a 5 disk changer...but no auxiliary. Wth. I wish I had the auxiliary. Sooooo much easier then burning new CD's.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Nikolai

Yeah, I thought the 06's were supposed to have the aux port. Makes me wonder if the radio was swapped out at some point.

Thanks for all of the advice. I've never heard of an FM transmitter so that's something to look into. Getting another stock radio wasn't something I considered either. I'll let you all know if I have any additional questions.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I found a stock radio on ebay out of an 06 that had the aux input for $35. The turned around and sold my original 6 disk changer with no aux input for $50. Actually made money...lol

Quick Reply: Adding auxiliary input