3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

DYI Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 AM
dimesismoneytoo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI Bedliner

Hey y'all, so this past weekend I was going to apply a roll-on or spray on bedliner. But of course, mother nature had other plans and it rained. But anyways, before I do this, I was looking for some advice. Like tips or tricks that make it easier or make a better application. Anything will help. Thank guys

Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 AM
dingdong2
Professional

Originally Posted by dimesismoneytoo
Hey y'all, so this past weekend I was going to apply a roll-on or spray on bedliner. But of course, mother nature had other plans and it rained. But anyways, before I do this, I was looking for some advice. Like tips or tricks that make it easier or make a better application. Anything will help. Thank guys
I know nothing about DIY roll-on or spray-on liners but my truck came with a Line-X spray-on liner and it's really nice. How do you do it yourself? Do company's like Line-X sell their product to be put on by the customer?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

I would make sure to sand down the bed ( or what ever you're bed lining). Scuff up the paint a bit so the stuff has something to stick to. I have seen too many people skip this step and have it chip and flake right back up in a few days.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I got talked into getting a bedrug when I went to look at doing a roll on type liner. Best move I ever made!

I had always done the plastic liners before and was tired of having sh*t slam around the back of the truck. No telling how many rods and reels or other stuff I've broken over the years from batteries, trolling motors and other crap slamming around the bed of my truck.

I've had this liner seven years now and have put it thru hell. Gas & oil spills, loads of sand and river rock and the only care I give it is I will remove it (it zips out) and pressure wash it about once a year (and I'm WAY overdue now). It's just now starting to show some fading but with seven years in the deep south sun, I'm amazed the color stood up this long. But other than a slight fade, it's still in near new condition.
Things pretty much stay in place on the thing and an added benefit is that it's soft on the knees when you get into the bed of the truck.

I'll be getting this product in any trucks I own in the future...

Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Nick said just make sure you sand and clean the area for applying it. I just did this with a buddy two weeks ago on his Chevy 1500. Just taped off anywhere we didnt want to get paint and it was rather easy. He had the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating gallon of paint that came with a roller and brush. He brushed difficult areas such as the corners and I used the roller. 2 coatings does the trick and then just do any necessary touchup.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
DM_kota
Professional

If you are going to do it, do it right and get somthing that is not that duplicolor or rustoeluem stuff..

I had this in my old dodge; I loved it, great with good prep
http://www.herculiner.com/

and am possibly getting this for the dakota
http://www.monstaliner.com/

This has UV resistance and you control the texture, it is not rubber particles.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dupli-color bed armor is the hotness. I just did some of my rocker panels and headlights...awesome stuff.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
The dupli-color bed armor is the hotness. I just did some of my rocker panels and headlights...awesome stuff.

I won't start an internet fight... but you neglected to use it on a truck bed......

no matter what brand you use. Prep is 120% of the final result. If you do a quick crappy prep.... say hello to chipping and peeling.

scotch-brite and wire brush, follow up with mineral spirits...

Last edited by DM_kota; 11-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
I found this stuff WAY to runny and messy/ I did my rear bumper with it and had to take it back off because it started to peel off before I even got it on the truck. Now it looked nice and the Plastic part on the bumper came out great. The Metal didnt, I got other stuff that I used on my backrack it sprays lightly, dried within seconds that did the trick lol. just need to spray it right or youll get a smooth finish at the end

I got a price of $565 Canadian to Line-X over the rails with a few small extras

Last edited by Reject; 11-30-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
rengnath
Champion

I used Herculiner on my 94 Chevy and it held up just fine. I scuffed the entire bed and then used Xylol (as stated in the instructions) and applied it to the surface before rolling on the bed liner. Herculiner would be my only choice as I haven't read very any good reviews on the others. I would suggest sanding the bed as much as possible before applying anything. I would also recommend the UV protectant with the Herculiner as mine faded bad in a year, but remained shiny where the sun didn't hit as much.

I was going to do a roll on for this truck, but I recently found a Mopar drop-in bed liner on craigslist for $50. I couldn't pass up that deal.

Quick Reply: DYI Bedliner