3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Door speakers mats/baffles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 AM
dingdong2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door speakers mats/baffles

Has anyone ever tried door speaker mats/baffles? I thought I saw some on Crutchfield a long time ago that was advertised to help improve acoustics of the door. This is all I see on Crutchfield now which seems like it's more for protecting the speakers than improving the sound.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT65...search=baffles

I currently have a sub and it sounds good but I would like to get rid of it. Would adding the baffles give me a more defined bass from the door speakers (like if I had the speakers in enclosures)? I know I will never get the bass from these speakers that I get from the sub and I am fine with that because I'm not looking to shatter windows.

I would prefer to not put an amp on the speakers but I could If I need to because they are like 250-watts. The head unit is only putting out 50-watts.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Highs On Bass

do not get them, I've been building custom car audio for years, These things do not bode well for what your wanting. The biggest issue that is found with these are that the bass your speaker creates in the door acts like a vaccume and it sucks these little things in, it flaps around inside the door more than it does anything else. If you want to improve your acoustics of the truck, Buy some decent quality deadener and deaden the doors.

I prefer alpha damp pro, its their thickest stuff. put a layer inside the inner door skin, and one on the outer doors skin, doing this will stop unwanted door flex. cut down on background noise etc. just in doing that it makes a world of difference in sound from your door speakers.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Highs On Bass
do not get them, I've been building custom car audio for years, These things do not bode well for what your wanting. The biggest issue that is found with these are that the bass your speaker creates in the door acts like a vaccume and it sucks these little things in, it flaps around inside the door more than it does anything else. If you want to improve your acoustics of the truck, Buy some decent quality deadener and deaden the doors.

I prefer alpha damp pro, its their thickest stuff. put a layer inside the inner door skin, and one on the outer doors skin, doing this will stop unwanted door flex. cut down on background noise etc. just in doing that it makes a world of difference in sound from your door speakers.
+ 1 on that

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Highs On Bass

btw our trucks can get kinda loud.... if you didn't know. watch this video, this is me in my 05 doing around 157 db's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zv-eu4ZojQ

Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
JimBio
Professional

I had some of those on a previous car and they killed any bass you had coming out of the speaker.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
dingdong2
Professional

btw our trucks can get kinda loud.... if you didn't know. watch this video, this is me in my 05 doing around 157 db's
Haha... I don't think that will happen with my truck cuz I'm only gonna be pushing about 50 watts into two speakers (100 watts total). If I decide that's not enough then I will do the rear speakers too.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
dingdong2
Professional

Thanks for the recommendation. This is something I have never looked into so I don't know anything about it. Do you know of any good how-to guides online for this? What will the approximate cost be?

As for the sound quality after this is done, will it be similar to having a very low power sub? Right now I'm only pushing like 80 watts into a 12" sub which is plenty loud for me and it sounds great but I want to get rid of the sub. It's large and in the way plus its another thing to tempt thieves.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zv-eu4ZojQ
how in the h$ll can you do that without busting your eardrums?? 157 db is pushing the threshold for pain!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Highs On Bass

Originally Posted by jkeaton
how in the h$ll can you do that without busting your eardrums?? 157 db is pushing the threshold for pain!

over time you get used to it, and its really nothing. its like anything really you slowly build up to it and then when your there, its just another day. it does get a little bit much after 2 or 3 min tho.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Highs On Bass

as far as the sound quality goes it will make the bass and vocals in the door increased, by blocking out background noise. Look up a company called second skin. they have plenty of tutorials and what to do and what not to do, their prices are a little expensive but they quality of the product is 10x's better than dynomat, As a competitor who's used just about everything on the market when it comes to sound dampening, I've found that dynomat isn't so great when the entire panel the mat is secured to wants to literally rip the metal apart from itself. lol. We are talking ripping the roof.... lol.

it has a usual issue of coming off over time. and its very flimsy when your wanting to get the best out of your vehicle and you expect results you don't go cheap.

look at secondskinaudio.com and look thru their products, each product has a description of its use, and application info.

Quick Reply: Door speakers mats/baffles