3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tire selection help (another one!?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire selection help (another one!?)

Hello dudes and dudettes(if there are any?) Ok, so I'm trying to find tires for the 20s I ordered, I have narrowed it down two two brands, three tires.

Toyo PROXES S/T II
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....44240&pID=9291

I like the sporty look of these, I will be driving during the winter and I'm sure the will do a lot better than the Nitto 420S so they stayed on my list.

Toyo Versado CUV
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....0240&pID=28132

These will probably do better in snow than proxies but they don't have the sporty look, however they are not directional like the Proxies so I can get better rotations out of them, but they have a lower load rating of 106 instead of the 111 of the PROXIES.. I don't know if that makes a difference or not as far as wear and longevity is concerned.

And last is,
Falken S/TZ-04
http://discounttires.com/product_det...E=&prodID=5441

I am running these as steer tires on my 16s now, but they were there when I bought the truck so I am not really sure what to say about them. They spin in circles pretty well.. The tread is VERY deep on a new tire, decent looking pattern, the only thing keeping me from going with these are some poor longevity ratings posted on another site.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

anyhoo, thanks for any help.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Yokohama Parada Spec X, had them for a few months now and I have NO complaints. Havent used them in snow yet so not sure how they will do.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

When I first pick up a set of flower petal 20's, I was planning on getting the Falken STZ-04's. I read tons of positive reviews on that tire.
Ended up going a different direction obviously.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys.

I looked at the Falkens for a long time and it was weird, one site had all good reviews and another site had a lot more natural looking reviews, but the bads were mostly the same. Bad wet traction, early tread peeling, and hard to balance.

I ended up going with Toyo Proxies ST II, great reviews, looks, and those that mentioned it said the snow traction was decent enough. Some sandbags should get me anywhere I need to go, and I got those traction pads ordered with a tow strap JUST in case lol.

Last edited by FrenicX; 12-03-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire selection help (another one!?)