3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission/differential fluid change question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Hokie John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/differential fluid change question

Well I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 V6, and I'm pretty excited. It's a clean single owner truck, 70k mils, and the carfax seems like it had regular dealer performed maintenance. However, since the truck is new to me, I'd like to change out all the lube fluids so I have a new baseline for a maintenance schedule, and so I can switch over to Amsoil lubes all at once.

I've been lurking on the site for a day or so, collecting some initial intel, but I still have a couple questions.

A) All 3rd Gen Automatic V6 Dakotas have the 42RLE transmission, right?

B) Will a 2.5Gal jug of amsoil universal ATF be enough for a FULL fluid change in both the 42RLE trans and the transfer case? Numbers for trans fluid capacities seem to be inconsistent.

C) Is there a way I could remove/drain ALL of the old trans fluid (i.e. not just pulling the pan) myself without a ton of specialized equipment or hassle?

D) I consider myself a competent shade-tree mechanic, but I have never really worked on automatic transmissions, so they kind of scare me. If I chicken out and decide to go to a shop for a trans flush/refill, how much should I expect them to charge for the service, if I provide the ATF and filter kit? How can I make sure they are using a low pressure machine that uses the trans pump to move the fluid? Is that the typical type of trans flush machine? I only want to completely replace all the fluid, I don't want any kind of weird solvents or higher-than-nominal pressures involved.

E) Does the mopar transmission filter kit come with the flat filter, screw on filter, AND filter seal?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

D: i payed the local dodge dealer 180 to drop the pan and replace both filters and fluid.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Hokie John

Did that cost include the cost of filter and fluids, or did you supply them yourself?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the dealer supplied everything.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This should be right, its the 4 speed auto

B) Will a 2.5Gal jug of amsoil universal ATF be enough for a FULL fluid change in both the 42RLE trans and the transfer case? Numbers for trans fluid capacities seem to be inconsistent.

2.5 Gal is more than enough. The trans should only take 4qts for a servicing. The transfer case depending on which one you have shouldnt take more than 2.85 pints and as little as 2.5 pints depending on which one you have.

C) Is there a way I could remove/drain ALL of the old trans fluid (i.e. not just pulling the pan) myself without a ton of specialized equipment or hassle?

There is no easier way than popping the pan off unless you install a plug which you need to initially take the pan off. For just a fluid change all you should need is a couple wrenches and or ratchet and sockets and you can have the pan off in no time.

D) I consider myself a competent shade-tree mechanic, but I have never really worked on automatic transmissions, so they kind of scare me. If I chicken out and decide to go to a shop for a trans flush/refill, how much should I expect them to charge for the service, if I provide the ATF and filter kit? How can I make sure they are using a low pressure machine that uses the trans pump to move the fluid? Is that the typical type of trans flush machine? I only want to completely replace all the fluid, I don't want any kind of weird solvents or higher-than-nominal pressures involved.

Thunder answered that

E) Does the mopar transmission filter kit come with the flat filter, screw on filter, AND filter seal?

I am pretty sure it comes with everything
Here is my input. I hope it helps. If you need any numbers or anything I have a full Service Manual

Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM
EliteTempleton
Veteran
Originally Posted by Hokie John
Yes, from what I can tell this is true.

You can get your build sheet and know for sure though, & it's free!

You can go the web form route or send a PM to DodgeCares with your VIN and he can hook you up.

Quick Reply: Transmission/differential fluid change question