3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shift linkage cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Highs On Bass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage cable

So... well sat i'm on my way to work, when An accident happened. I had to put my truck in park, and when traffic started moving I went to put my truck in drive, when I pulled the truck from park the shift linkage snapped keeping my truck in park... Anyone ever have this issue before? also... does anyone know if that is just a dealer part or can I get it thru napa? I hope napa carries it because I get a HUGE discount thru napa being a mechanic at Kauffman tire

Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to me in an Integra once. It didn't actually snap though. It just came loose and I was able to put it back together. Take your steering column cover off first and see what happened before you assume that the cable snapped.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Highs On Bass

i have lol it def snapped. where the shifter is on the 3rd gen dakota, which i have a 2005. with the 3.7.L.

there is a square plastic valve body that slides into another shaft, that guides the linkage. the plastic piece holds a tip to the wire. well about an inch below the tip inside the shaft is where the wire snapped. I pulled the dash apart, and disconnected it from the trans. pulled it all out. its def broken right there. I removed the two ends, and about an inch from the tip of the black plastic piece is where the wire is frayed.. its a pita, but its out. Now just gotta find out if they will have a replacement part thats not like 40000 bucks from dodge lol

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Highs On Bass

nice find I wish they had a pic of the full item I want to make sure it also comes with both ends that connect to the barbs so I don't have to try and disassemble the dang cable from the ends. its a pain as it is lol.

Quick Reply: Shift linkage cable