3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Failed emission inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:19 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Damn! I wish they were free here.

When I lived in South Carolina, with no state inspections, you saw borderline dangerous cars driving down the road every day. Completely bald tires, obviously broken suspensions, who knows what kind of brakes...I believe a thorough inspection is to the benefit of the motoring public.

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:20 PM
blakdak07
Veteran

Sorry, fellas, but Oklahoma doesn't have inspection at all. They leave it up to law enforcement to cite safety issues. Nothing for emissons.

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by cramerica

When I lived in South Carolina, with no state inspections, you saw borderline dangerous cars driving down the road every day. Completely bald tires, obviously broken suspensions, who knows what kind of brakes...I believe a thorough inspection is to the benefit of the motoring public.
we have mandatory yearly safety inspections for cars 35 years old and newer ($13.00), safety and emissions for cars made after 1996 ($35.00), but we still have our share of dangerous cars on the road that just make you go "how did that car pass inspection?". There are ways around the laws...just like everything else..I have a friend who has a friend who does inspections for friends....turns a blind eye to some things....happens everywhere I'm sure. I prefer to have a legitimately inspected vehicle. Just makes me feel better about it.

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:20 PM
rengnath
Champion

My brother had the same problem when he took his car for emissions. He had a MIL because he was messing around with something, so he disconnected his battery and that fixed it. He took it to the DMV for the test (we only have OBDII testing) and they said he will need to bring it back because there were no readings from the emissions systems.

You're correct, your recent service most likely reset your PCM. Along with that, retuning your truck to stock will do the same thing, and require you to drive the truck to relearn the fuel trims.

When I took my truck for emissions, I didn't even bother retuning from the performance 91 tune. Technically Superchips complies with emissions standards. If they are just doing to the OBDII test, your truck should pass as long as there is no engine light, and there have been enough miles put on the truck since the last reset.

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:45 PM
dakotaff
|
Champion

There was only about 50 miles put on since I've the service, so I figure I'll drive it for a few weeks and should be good. I knew returning to stock would erase any mileage that I put on,
but I'm not sure how many miles since I put the tune back on after servicing.

I'll just roll around with the rejected sticker for now.

Old 12-14-2011 | 05:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

does it look like this??

Old 12-14-2011 | 05:50 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

thats annoying..hope its just the simple PCM issue! Here in Mass it costs $29 for an inspection. Not sure why they couldnt have just made it $30 but hey I wont complain about saving a dollar (:

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:31 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I figured this year would be a piece of cake. NJ only checks emissions now. You can have a cracked windshield, one headlight, blacked out tails, tint, and no wipers and you will still pass.

The only reason that I failed is because I recently had service done to the truck. I only returned it to stock to eliminate the tune as a possible reason if it fails again later. I'm almost positive it would not cause it to fail, but I figure one less variable to consider. I'll drive it for a few weeks and bring it back.
Dang if I had known that I would have gone with darker tint, kept it reasonable so I wouldn't have to worry about inspection. Just make sure to drive it 150 miles or so after changing the tune with the SC.

Old 12-15-2011 | 05:07 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I figured this year would be a piece of cake. NJ only checks emissions now. You can have a cracked windshield, one headlight, blacked out tails, tint, and no wipers and you will still pass.
They should do a Driver Safety Inspection. Every vehicle I see with a Jersey plate is driving hazardously, cutting you off with no signal and only a foot to spare, slamming on there brakes etc..

Originally Posted by cramerica

I wish they were free too. The garage I go to is pretty lenient and will pass if it starts and had no CEL.

Old 12-15-2011 | 06:51 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Wait so let me get this straight...if u dont pass inspection all that hapens is u got to ride around with some sticker?

Quick Reply: Failed emission inspection