3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Failed emission inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 11:20 AM
dakotaff
|
Champion
Angry Failed emission inspection

I just went and failed inspection due to Catalytic Converter and Oxygen Sensors 'Not Ready'. Now I haven't really driven the truck since I had it serviced at the dealer for the airbag lights. I know whenever the battery is disconnected or the PCM flashed, the vehicle has to go through a drive cycle (different versions of what that really is) to put the sensors in a ready state to give off a code. They said to simply drive the truck for about 150 miles and bring it back in and it the sensors should be ready.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue before?

And also wondering if the tune from Superchips would affect the readings at all. I'm going to put it back to stock in the meantime so I don't have to worry about that.

Old 12-14-2011 | 11:49 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I just went and failed inspection due to Catalytic Converter and Oxygen Sensors 'Not Ready'. Now I haven't really driven the truck since I had it serviced at the dealer for the airbag lights. I know whenever the battery is disconnected or the PCM flashed, the vehicle has to go through a drive cycle (different versions of what that really is) to put the sensors in a ready state to give off a code. They said to simply drive the truck for about 150 miles and bring it back in and it the sensors should be ready.

Just wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue before?

And also wondering if the tune from Superchips would affect the readings at all. I'm going to put it back to stock in the meantime so I don't have to worry about that.
If it were me (im married), I'd use this as a good reason to get spintech cats

I've never had this happen, but it makes sense. I'm wondering what they're going to say about my exhaust when I take in January

Old 12-14-2011 | 12:01 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

First I've heard that one. I've had mine inspected twice with sc tunes installed and my exhaust installed. (i did get failed last year because of my nightshaded 3rd brake light)

Old 12-14-2011 | 12:14 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

what are catalytic converters? lol, living in Florida sure has its perks

Last edited by MitsuRaider; 12-14-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2011 | 12:23 PM
dakotaff
|
Champion

I figured this year would be a piece of cake. NJ only checks emissions now. You can have a cracked windshield, one headlight, blacked out tails, tint, and no wipers and you will still pass.

The only reason that I failed is because I recently had service done to the truck. I only returned it to stock to eliminate the tune as a possible reason if it fails again later. I'm almost positive it would not cause it to fail, but I figure one less variable to consider. I'll drive it for a few weeks and bring it back.

Old 12-14-2011 | 12:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
what are catalytic converters? lol, living in Florida sure has it's perks
The mustang I got has the cats removed. it's a 94, so no emission inspection is required in the county I live in (96 and up require emissions). That car sure does stink though. Makes you realize how much cats clean up the exhaust.

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2011 | 01:02 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
The mustang I got has the cats removed. it's a 94, so no emission inspection is required in the county I live in (96 and up require emissions). That car sure does stink though. Makes you realize how much cats clean up the exhaust.
But when they are cold they smell like spray paint. I always love the smell of a deisel though. Now the DPF ruins that. Infact it smells like **** when its cold, thanks to urea injection

Old 12-14-2011 | 01:36 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator

I haven't run into it personally, but I have had some friends and co-workers run into that after simply having a battery replaced. This is in PA. I hate the emissions BS. Back where I grew up, that county doesn't require it either. Full inspection costs were $25, now that I live in an emission-ed county, $50-65. I haven't run into an issue with being tuned and passing either

Old 12-14-2011 | 01:57 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Emissions controls are good for all of us - follow a 50's /60's era big block car and see how long you can go before you're sick of smelling uncombusted fuel. I know I don't like it. Many motorcycles, too..they reek!

$65 for an inspection is robbery. NYS inspection for my vehicle is $21. Had it done today.

Old 12-14-2011 | 02:07 PM
dakotaff
|
Champion

New Jersey inspection is free!

It took all of 3 minutes, but now I gotta go back dammit.

Quick Reply: Failed emission inspection