3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exhaust and Intake System
Print Wikipost

cheap Cold air intakes, suck? good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
BMSJaX
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got that same exact kit in my '06 now except its blue. Like the auction says its a short ram NOT a CAI. So you end up sucking in hot engine air. Its not the greatest kit ever made and some slight tweaks need to be made to get it to mount as there are no mounting points on it to keep it from moving around. We did some stop/full throttle & cruising/full throttle runs with both the stock and this intake kit and there was a very noticeable difference. People may tell you there is not but there is and I have no reason to lie. (My truck uses the extra air flow it provided, yours might not) That hesitation you get when you first accelerate that a lot of people on here have noticed with the 3.7l almost completely goes away. Throttle response is much better and the "get up and go" is more powerful. The sound it makes is just like an old 4 bbl carb, you can hear it suckin in the air, a plus for a muscle car guy like me. It also changed the sound of my exhaust. It sounded kinda 'ricey' with the stock intake but now has a noticeable deeper sound. (I have the Magnaflow cat-back system) For the $40 and the $10-20 extra you'll throw into it for brackets and better hose clamps I say its worth the money.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 AM
rapta619
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the cat back magnaflow exhaust setup and my. K& n CAI my milage is roughly up 2 or 3 mpgs. And it doesn't kick into overdrive nearly as much as it used too (I drive the same route over the hills everyday to work, I can tell the difference)

Quick Reply: cheap Cold air intakes, suck? good deal?