3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Drivers side tail light bulb keeps going out

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
08_Dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side tail light bulb keeps going out

Hey everyone,

I have some sort of intermittent issue with the drivers side tail light bulb burning out quite quickly. I had the issue a few months back where the signal portion of the light went out. I replaced the bulb and all was fine. Then last night for some certain reason, now the tail light on the same side is out. All rest of it works. Signal and brake works fine. Could this be a bad bulb or some wiring issue? Any thoughts

Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick up a digital multimeter if you don't have one already and measure the voltage on each wire from the harness, except ground. Make sure you have directionals on when checking the sidemarkers and the truck in reverse gear when checking the backup lights. I don't know if this helps or not because I'm not sure if you are a DIY kind of guy or even a technician so don't get mad at me -_- haha

Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM
08_Dakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas. I am getting into the DIY, not afraid to try things. I was able to take the cover off and actually determined that the wiring harness which has threads into the white panel, was hanging loose. It appeared to work its way loose., once I tightened that it seems to be working. Was not a bulb after all. Looks like loose connection.

This site is great

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a zip tie and use it to make the connection more secure. Don't overtighten it though because it could snap the clip. Best of luck, electrical problems are a pain! If the bulb isn't burnt out or damaged then you ll know its almost always the power source that is the problem

Quick Reply: Drivers side tail light bulb keeps going out