3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shock replacment and leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 AM
daterxies
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock replacment and leveling kit

Im thinking i might need new shocks because when i go into this dip at work i think the tires rubbing when my front bounces.

So are Rancho 5000's good shocks to goto? Ive had the truck sense 50k and haven't replaced the shocks but my front end likes to bounce quite a bit on bumps these days. Ive relpalced the front Ball joints (upper ones twice, lower ones once) in 50k miles, will this help? Because the ball joint replacements are getting stupid, last time instead of OEM i went with all moogs.

Also (Tax time = extra money) Leveling kit, whats a good recommendation? Just for front end. Can they be used with the rancho 5000's?

thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The Rancho's are probably the best money spent on my truck. Your bounce will be gone after installing them, or the Monroes for that matter. A leveling kit works fine with any strut that you install. I'm running Ranchos all around with a Trailmaster 1.5" leveling kit. If you're 4WD, don't go over a 2" leveling kit.

Rancho Front strut part # is RS5757.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancho makes a good shock, I've used them on my old Jeep YJs and other trucks, but they really rust fast - they all turned from white to spotted brown withing a year. Monroe gave me the same performance and kept it's surface for a lot longer. I believe that Rancho & Munroe are now the same company.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM
daterxies
Rookie

Originally Posted by dakotaff
The Rancho's are probably the best money spent on my truck. Your bounce will be gone after installing them, or the Monroes for that matter. A leveling kit works fine with any strut that you install. I'm running Ranchos all around with a Trailmaster 1.5" leveling kit. If you're 4WD, don't go over a 2" leveling kit.

Rancho Front strut part # is RS5757.
Ok thanks.

Stupid question because i have no clue about shocks/struts but do i have to buy that AND the shock, or just that strut part number you listed. Im gonna have a shop install them.

Also is that per pair or per strut? and 4 per vehicle (same one used in rear?)

Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The rears are shocks, part # RS5315. You don't have to replace the rear shocks unless you have to, or want to.

The RS5757 struts are for the front only.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daterxies
Ok thanks.

Stupid question because i have no clue about shocks/struts but do i have to buy that AND the shock, or just that strut part number you listed. Im gonna have a shop install them.

Also is that per pair or per strut? and 4 per vehicle (same one used in rear?)
There should be no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know, regardless of your experience. Often, you can get a pretty good idea of what you're up against by looking at an exploded view & then if you can combine that with a service manual to fill in the "gaps", you'll be in good shape. The last thing you want to do is to start a job without knowing what parts, tools, techniques, or sequences you'll need. Here's a link to a thread on this forum that gives you some links to get both a parts list that has many of the blow-up diagrams you need, and a downloadable 2 volume service manual - GET BOTH. When you've got these docs, you'll see that a lot is explained just by the pictures. In the manual, you'll see lists of special tools that the truck may require (these lists are at the beginning of each section) - many of these can be substituted with generic versions (such as the front spring compressor) that are cheaper and more versatile.

To answer your question in summary, the struts are the front shocks. These "shocks" are located inside the front coil spring and have a few more re-useable parts attached. This whole assembly (with the spring and other parts) is removed from between the upper and lower control arms. It's then disassembled and the center "shock" part replaced. You then re-assemble everything and re-install the entire strut. You need a few extra tools to do this, like the spring compressor, and in my opinion, you should also have a written procedure with pictures that makes sense to you.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 PM
KingsDodges
Professional

is this set up coil over or are the coils and shocks separated?
im looking to put a 2" leveling kit in my 08' Dak and then put some bigger tires under her but i cant figure it out
i also want to get new spring so i can get red or blue ones
ive already orderd my Rancho RS9000XL shocks.....

Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM
rapta619
Professional

Uh oh ^, I don't think they make 9000's for these trucks, check the rancho website, when I called rock auto, they called rancho and was told that there are no rs 9000's for these trucks, and told me they were going to remove them from the Dakota listing. This was in November 11'.

Lots of people love the rancho front an Monroe sensatrac rear combination, especially if you tow ( coil over rear shocks are nice)

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
KingsDodges
Professional

what would you recommend for shocks and springs?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
rengnath
Champion

I havent found any aftermarket springs unfortunatly.

They make 9000xl shocks for the Dakota, but only the 5000 series for the struts.

Quick Reply: Shock replacment and leveling kit