3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Headlights/HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Ficus0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights/HID Conversion

I want to get new lenses for the truck. Ive seen a few out there, but dont know which are good quality.

Also i need help finding a good HID Kit. I have very little knowledge of headlights as you can probably tell by now.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Big_Texxan
Professional

autoanything.com has great prices and a wide range, as for HID ive heard and used the DDM kit, which is great. I also have VLEDs HID kit, they work great too.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

i tried HID's. for about a month. then went back to silverstars. HID's did not work very well for me.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
norma jean
Captain

I like the silverstars as well

Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I have HID's..mine can not be turned off and turned back on. truck has to be shut off and once pcm enters sleep mode they can be turned back on. no flickering or anything though, they work perfectly..just can't flash my highs at people. I love the way they look and they are 10x brighter than my silverstars..my hopeful fix is a relay harness with resistors built in but I have yet the time to install it..I can take the sacrifice of my problem for the extra light because IMO it is worth it..I can go into a convenience store and grab a drink, come out and they will turn back on for me. So basically I just can't flash my lights at people. My kit is from HIDextra.com and is the 35W Canbus kit..8000ks Dodge and canbus operated headlights systems are just the biggest PITA so you can take the risk and try them if you'd like..easy installation. Our headlight housings work well with them though..It is insanely brighter and I have friends who drive infront of me all the time and say my truck is the only thing with HIDs that doesn't blind them

Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
I have HID's..mine can not be turned off and turned back on. truck has to be shut off and once pcm enters sleep mode they can be turned back on. no flickering or anything though, they work perfectly..just can't flash my highs at people. I love the way they look and they are 10x brighter than my silverstars..my hopeful fix is a relay harness with resistors built in but I have yet the time to install it..I can take the sacrifice of my problem for the extra light because IMO it is worth it..I can go into a convenience store and grab a drink, come out and they will turn back on for me. So basically I just can't flash my lights at people.
Are all hids like that?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
kbond
Professional

Originally Posted by norma jean
Are all hids like that?
no not all. depends on your setup really and how you have them hooked up. mine are like that. however my previous hid kit wasnt. because i had them setup differently and also had a halogen DRL.. with the previous setup i had a halogen "highbeam" so they call it, so i could flash my lights back and forth.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
gkates
Professional

Try ddmtuning.com. Cheapest place on the web I have found!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
I have HID's..mine can not be turned off and turned back on. truck has to be shut off and once pcm enters sleep mode they can be turned back on. no flickering or anything though, they work perfectly..just can't flash my highs at people. I love the way they look and they are 10x brighter than my silverstars..my hopeful fix is a relay harness with resistors built in but I have yet the time to install it..I can take the sacrifice of my problem for the extra light because IMO it is worth it..I can go into a convenience store and grab a drink, come out and they will turn back on for me. So basically I just can't flash my lights at people. My kit is from HIDextra.com and is the 35W Canbus kit..8000ks Dodge and canbus operated headlights systems are just the biggest PITA so you can take the risk and try them if you'd like..easy installation. Our headlight housings work well with them though..It is insanely brighter and I have friends who drive infront of me all the time and say my truck is the only thing with HIDs that doesn't blind them
l ordered a kit that DEFINATLY works with two relays in the harness from a very trusted source int he dodge community, its just he cant sell them cuz the business is no longer there and he dosent feel safe not offering a warranty, i just want a fix, he has one last harness from them so, i should have it in my hands sometime next week when i get some time to fool around with it, im going to make my own custom and i will make another wright up as well....

Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Big_Texxan
Professional

Where the **** did my post go!!!!!!!!!

**** since the site wont post that ****

wow, okay this site, pissin me off and im drunk, *=siht

Last edited by jasonw; 02-11-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Triple posting.

Quick Reply: Headlights/HID Conversion