3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

How are the auto transmissions in 3rd gen dakotas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM
renegade509
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the auto transmissions in 3rd gen dakotas?

I am researching new pickups that I may be buying soon. I am curious if the 3rd gen dakotas have any history of weak transmissions and transmission related problems? From what I have learned the 3rd gen ram pickups have much better tranny's than the 1st and 2nd gen. Are Dakotas the same?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 3rd Gen Dakotas actually have the same exact transmission as the 3rd Gen ram. The 5-45RFE holds up nicely to hemi, and even better to the 4.7. This is assuming we are talking about the v8. The v6, which is a different transmission, I have no experience with, but I don't see many issues with it. It was used in many vehicles as well.

Good luck in your search, we wouldn't mind adding to our group here at the most active and helpful 3rd Gen Dakota section of any dodge forum. Enjoy

Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed the 545RFE is a Superior transmission that saved Dodge from the bad rep of transmissions.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Transmissions are great, truck is great, engines are somewhat weak (V6 or V8) this can be remedied with several key mods. Mileage is not that great (this is a truck afterall). Front end parts (ball joints, sway bar end links, struts) are junk from the factory but are easily upgraded. If your looking for new, I believe your going to have a hard time finding a new 3rd gen since they stopped making them in 2011. (unless it is a left over). But, if your looking for a mid size, bigger than other offerings from chevy, ford, toyota, nissan but smaller than a full size, the Dakota is your only choice. Good towing capacity, lots of interior room (compared to other mid-size crew cabs), all around fun truck to drive (get the V8 by all means). Plus you get free membership to this exclusive online forum, where everybody knows your name. What else could you ask for?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

When i had my red truck, it had a v6 in it, and that transmission worked great. It was a 4 speed, part time 4x4 but it did the job, and i never had a problem with it. The only thing that sucked about that was when my dad and i went camping up in colorado, and it dang neard had to be in 1st to keep up with the trafic up in the mountains goin up hill. But that all being said, it always did what i needed it to do. Except put a 4x8 piece of plywood in between the wheel wells in the bed.

I've had my newer grey truck with a v8 and 545rfe and full time 4x4 (not the biggest fan of full time 4x4, but its all the stealership had) loaded to the max with rocks, and sitting on the bump stops, and it didnt have one problem getin movin, but i didnt go over 40 with that load.

But just make sure that you take care of your truck, and itll take care of you.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
When i had my red truck, it had a v6 in it, and that transmission worked great. It was a 4 speed, part time 4x4 but it did the job, and i never had a problem with it. The only thing that sucked about that was when my dad and i went camping up in colorado, and it dang neard had to be in 1st to keep up with the trafic up in the mountains goin up hill. But that all being said, it always did what i needed it to do. Except put a 4x8 piece of plywood in between the wheel wells in the bed.

But just make sure that you take care of your truck, and itll take care of you.
ill agree with you on the hill thing, with the v6 bigger hills aren't the greatest with this truck. I've also loaded mine full of concrete with like 2 inch space between the tire and wheel well, and i could still feel some power, but the plywood is easily remedied.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by norma jean
ill agree with you on the hill thing, with the v6 bigger hills aren't the greatest with this truck. I've also loaded mine full of concrete with like 2 inch space between the tire and wheel well, and i could still feel some power, but the plywood is easily remedied.
I had to get a trailer to haul some plywood/sheet rock. now its not a problem. But its nice to just throw it in and go. I guess i could take a BFH after the wheel wells, or go flat bed, which, I think, would look ugly. I would make a riser platform to go above the wells, but my toolbox will screw that plan up. What did you do?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
I had to get a trailer to haul some plywood/sheet rock. now its not a problem. But its nice to just throw it in and go. I guess i could take a BFH after the wheel wells, or go flat bed, which, I think, would look ugly. I would make a riser platform to go above the wells, but my toolbox will screw that plan up. What did you do?
i usually just slide them in over the tailgate, if you have a cross bed toolbox, that capacity is limited, because it pushes them further up in the air, or you can slide them in with one side flat on the bed and then the other side in the air resting on the bed rail and then put a strap across the back of the plywood and connect in the anchors along the back wall, this would still work with a tool box. it works for me because i have the 6''6 bed, but i just looked and saw you have the qc, and then the trailor would be the best solution

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
norma jean
Captain
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
viper359
Professional

As someone who hammers the hell out of truck with daily city driving, I have 115 000 KMS on her, and she worked for every single kilometer! I drive the **** out of this truck. The V8 engines just don't die. The tranny is just as good. Mind you, I am starting to get some hesitation on cold or long off periods from inital pop from park to drive.

If both are still holding strong at the 150 000 KM mark, I would say it is one tough engine and tranny. I have driven many other vehicles hard like I do my truck, and well, thats why I have driven so many other vehicles, they broke.

I am very impressed with Dodge on this. The truck still feels new, if you know what I mean.

Quick Reply: How are the auto transmissions in 3rd gen dakotas?