3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I need help to clean and buff vinyl outlines away

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
DM_kota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help to clean and buff vinyl outlines away

My Dakota used to be owned by the Local Sheriff for running around an hauling things. Now you can look at the side of my truck and see the letter outlines really light.

Is there any tricks/tips that I can do to try to lessen that? Its only visible when it is pretty dirty or freshly clean.

I have thought about a graphic or Vinyl on the side, but that would be a funky spot.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Try a cleaner wax and a buffer.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Use rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound and then wax. It's a time consuming PIA process but it's worth it.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
CanadaDak
Rookie

they have this thing called an eraser wheel(google it) thats mounted on a cordless drill thats ment for exactly that, body shops use it, im looking for one at the moment aswell just debaged my truck and the adhesive is being a serious pain.. bug n tar remover doesnt want to work for me but apperintly most people dont have any trouble, its still winter hear so im sure the cold has something to do with it, most recomend doing it in the hot sun or usuing a heat gun but im not sure that would really apply to you. hope this helps

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

Those rubber eraser wheels won't take that off. They will just rub his paint allover and make a mess.

A good cleaner wax and elbow grease will take care of the weird ghost outline. Might as well do the whole truck while you're at it. If you want to be sure its gone, wax it then hit it with some annihilator to remove the wax you just put down. (Purple power works in a pinch.)

Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Originally Posted by ericemery
Those rubber eraser wheels won't take that off. They will just rub his paint allover and make a mess.

A good cleaner wax and elbow grease will take care of the weird ghost outline. Might as well do the whole truck while you're at it. If you want to be sure its gone, wax it then hit it with some annihilator to remove the wax you just put down. (Purple power works in a pinch.)

Looks like I will be waitin for the first nice day I have and block out a whole afternoon!!

Thanks

I have never wash-waxed-buffed a vehicle before (grew up on farm no need) so this will be something new to me, all I know is "wax on, wax off"

Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

Haha, don't fret. Its not as bad as it sounds. You will work up a good sweat though. Lol

Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric is right it will only take off adhesive but a spot from where a vinyl was won't be cured. For those interested though..It's a 'pinstripe' remover tool

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...1359613&sr=8-1

I used it for debadging and took of my 4x4 decals with it I think it works amazing is is worth 3x its price for what it does!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Frankiejaime88
Professional

Hey canadadak Putting a decent amount of rubbing alcohal on a towel and applying pressure not enough to dent it, over the adhesive then rub like there's no tomorrow. The alcohol won't mess up the paint. I'm in alaska I debadged my tailgate a couple weeks ago I went ahead and took it off and did it inside tho **** the cold

Quick Reply: I need help to clean and buff vinyl outlines away