3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Looking for a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 04:48 PM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie

Thanks dokataff just what i was looking for ur the man! And snyder ca u elaborate on the x pipe?

Old 03-11-2012 | 04:54 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by marcsnyder05
If money isn't a problem I would buy a dual in dual out borla muffler, 2 nice tips and have a shop make me a system with a X pipe
If you want a full dual, this is the way to go, but you need to modify the Y so that you have an outlet off each cat, buy an X crossover and then find someone or some shop that can make you mandrel bent pipes instead of the standard crinkle bend. The crinkled pipes are a lot cheaper but the crinkled bends cause turbulence which effectively decreases the pipe diameter to a great degree. Most of the exhaust shops no longer carry the equipment to do a smooth bend, so you might find this service available in a racing/hot rod shop.

Old 03-11-2012 | 05:01 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CanadaDak
Thanks dokataff just what i was looking for ur the man! And snyder ca u elaborate on the x pipe?
The X pipe or X crossover is used to join the 2 exhaust pipes on a V8 (not needed on a V6) to give you a more balanced exhaust flow - it helps to pull the exhaust from the engine. The V8 firing order isn't all that well balanced exhaust wise, but if you're interested, there are a lot of write-ups on the internet that can give you a lot of details on the subject.

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:57 AM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie

you guys are epic, im so glad for the help ... I would probably cream my pants with the sound of the dual in dual out... but it sounds like a little to much to get myself into(times like this i wish i was more automechanicly orientaded) with the X's and the Y's and the crinkles... im pretty sure im ganna stick with borla, its my fav sound(besides MBRP DUAL, cant find decent video) ive heard judging from this video from dakota raven http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=MOV00463.mp4... i pretty much want that exact sound and its a single single(would the daul dual sound much diff?) if so would probably change my mind again if i could hear it ANYWAYS i think it would be simpler to just copy ravens exaughst... just have to find out what model he has and probably just order a nice Borla stainless steal tip with it as well... or if this becomes to complicated for me ill just get the MBRP full SS dual kit and drop my truck off at the shop and tell them to make me happy

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:17 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional

everybody hates flowmaster? yea i admit 40 series is way to loud. after having one I switched it up and got a 50 series and dumped it. single in single out. Sounds like i have a hemi. it was the cheapest i was out the door under 2 hundred bucks

Old 03-12-2012 | 10:16 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

you guys are epic, im so glad for the help ... I would probably cream my pants with the sound of the dual in dual out... but it sounds like a little to much to get myself into(times like this i wish i was more automechanicly orientaded) with the X's and the Y's and the crinkles... im pretty sure im ganna stick with borla, its my fav sound(besides MBRP DUAL, cant find decent video) ive heard judging from this video from dakota raven http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=MOV00463.mp4... i pretty much want that exact sound and its a single single(would the daul dual sound much diff?) if so would probably change my mind again if i could hear it ANYWAYS i think it would be simpler to just copy ravens exaughst... just have to find out what model he has and probably just order a nice Borla stainless steal tip with it as well... or if this becomes to complicated for me ill just get the MBRP full SS dual kit and drop my truck off at the shop and tell them to make me happy
There are some "off the shelf" exhaust kits that are notorious for giving you a "drone" at a certain rpm range and if you conduct a search on this forum, you should pick up on that. To get rid of the drone, you need to make a modification to the exhaust, so to keep your expenses and "hands on" to a minimum, I recommend you stay away from the kits mentioned in the threads that talk about the drone/reverberation issues - I don't recall seeing any problems posted on the Borla kits, so they may be your safest bet.

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:48 PM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie

thanks alfons.. the drone issue is probably the biggest reason i havntvgone ahead and baught the mbrp full kit.. i think im ganna go to a muffler shop after work today and get a price and advice on what needz to be done to get the borla hooked up and what model i should buy

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:30 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

thanks alfons.. the drone issue is probably the biggest reason i havntvgone ahead and baught the mbrp full kit.. i think im ganna go to a muffler shop after work today and get a price and advice on what needz to be done to get the borla hooked up and what model i should buy
When I was looking for a shop to make smooth bend pipes (mandrel bending) for me, I checked out many of the franchised exhaust shops around here and found that none of them had the capability to give me what I wanted. They were very interested in making custom bent pipes for me, but not from my drawings - I'd need to leave the vehicle there, and they could only give me the "crinkle bend" - the wrinkled inside corner of the bend style of tube bending (the crinkle reduces the effective radius of the pipe because of the turbulence caused by the crinkle) . They also didn't impress me very much about their knowledge of exhaust systems - I did find a racing shop that knew what I was talking about and was able to bend the pipes to my satisfaction. I hope your exhaust shop consultations prove to be fruitful.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:15 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Hey Canadadak.....i love my borla, i got it almost 5 years ago....if money is a problem the muffler shops have copies of upper shelf mufflers...i got a friend that did not wanted to pay for borla and got installed a copy of the borla(off brand) and sounds almost identical to my truck.......but i will not trade my borla for any other....

I got to make a drive by video to post it here.....

Good luck with your desicion brother.....

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:58 PM
CanadaDak
|
Rookie

desicion made, BORLA or nothing.. hate to ask but raven, can u advise on exactly what u did to your exaughst system, i want your exact sound.. but at a total loss on where to start. what do i need to buy to do exactly what u did, if you dont mind me copying you of course:P and i would effing love a drive by vid!

Quick Reply: Looking for a new exhaust