3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

heated mirror conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM
slicktrick
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated mirror conversion

I know it isn't a sexy horsepower mod but I was looking at rock auto & they have the heated power mirrors for our trucks.

I had a RAM with the defrost mirrors & loved that extra little feature so it got my attention.

I've already got power mirrors, & I figure there's a relay to be added in the fuse box for the heated part ,IIRC there's an empty slot for one labeled heated window?

Other than the mirrors,a switch & possibly the relay I don't think it would take much .

So has anyone here done this,& if so was it plug & play with the factory wiring harness or did it require a little rigging?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They "Should" be plug and play, They might need to be turned on in the PCM by the dealer. Im not sure on heated mirrors. I know my Fogs they had to. They also had all the wiring, fuses and relays in-place.

Its also the same switch as the Rear Window Defroster I think, OR some cars have it when the Vents are set to Windows that it also turns on the Heated Mirrors to.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

they operate off the same switch for the rear window defogger. there was a thread around here somewhere about making aftermarket or added on ones work.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

^ yeah, the thread recently was about the rear window defroster but I think mirrors were brought up..I was thinking about swapping them but realized that I like the regular mirrors much more than the folding heated ones style.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
slicktrick
Professional

thats the kicker about the switch since i dont have the rear glass defroster or the switch for it. wouldnt mind adding that defroster glass eventually, but not right now.

i could rig up a toggle or button, but would prefer it look factory since it was an option on some dakotas.

& thank you reject, i didnt realize the dealer had to turn on some options like your foglights in the pcm. i wonder if the mirrors / back glass defrost is another one of those 'ghost" options.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicktrick
thats the kicker about the switch since i dont have the rear glass defroster or the switch for it. wouldnt mind adding that defroster glass eventually, but not right now.

i could rig up a toggle or button, but would prefer it look factory since it was an option on some dakotas.

& thank you reject, i didnt realize the dealer had to turn on some options like your foglights in the pcm. i wonder if the mirrors / back glass defrost is another one of those 'ghost" options.

You could get the Rear Glass Defrost HVAC, So it would still do Mirrors, and then you would have it if you ever did the glass.

Dealer here did my Fogs for free, Since the guy in the drive-thru bay, Kept telling me it didnt need to be programmed. I was like YES it does. He had the head shop guy come up, and he just brought the Starscan tool at did it in about 5 minutes (its a slow tool at times)

Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
BrandNew
Professional

Went to the dealer and he said that their is nothing to turn on for the mirrors like the fogs

Quick Reply: heated mirror conversion