3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Haxzorian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shifting issue

I have a 2005 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4. 3.7L V6, 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

I've noticed for a while now that when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at around 1500RPM to 1700RPM the truck jerks, only once, but violently. Then continues running normally. Shifting from 2nd gear on up to 4th without issue. I added some transmission fluid just to see if it could be a low fluid issue. That seemed to help but almost in a placebo way. I'm a novice when it comes to more complex workings of vehicles in general.

Any ideas what I could look at or what I should look out for when I take it to a transmission shop?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Barkleyfan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing they will look for is excessive metal particles in the pan, indicating mechanical issues. If you do go to a shop, insist they use Mopar ATF, not generic with conditioner. Dodge transmissions don't like generic fluid.

These transmissions have a special kickdown that is different than standard second gear shift pattern. Could be a simple solenoid issue, but I don't pretend to be an expert, just throwing out ideas.

Quick Reply: Shifting issue