3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
zcg4755
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance upgrades?

What do you guys think? I have an '11 with the 4.7. I'm thinking about dual Magnaflows, Fastman TB, Superchip (not sure it's compatible with the 2008+), and a high output cam (also not sure they make these for the 2008+). I already have a stock air filter replacement from AMSOIL (dry filter). I'm not sold on cold-air intakes, high-flow cats, or headers.

Cold-air intakes can become rather ineffective in warm weather and they certainly don't help with regards to fuel efficiency. My Ford Ranger went from an average of 22 MPG to 16 MPG (same driving habits, documented multiple times). Sure, the throttle response is better, but it's not worth sacrificing 6 MPG. This is just my opinion of course. On the other hand, I have heard that the stock cats and intake manifold is already rather efficient. Is it even worth buying high-flow cats and/or headers?

Just looking for some insight! If you think there is anything else that I should look into, please let me know! Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
JimBio
Professional

My opinion based on my 08

Superchips with premium fuel program is hands down the best bang for the buck on this particular truck. Huge gains, even the 87 octane program was a noticable difference. I would buy this first.

Fastman TB - honestly didn't notice any huge gains, if there is a gain it's not noticable without a dyno or track time comparison. Be that as it may I would probably notice it if I went back to stock.

K&N FIPK - sounds cool, better throttle response and mild gain. Noticed no loss in fuel mileage. I average 21-22 on the highway, 18-19 in the city.

Removed resonator (big one) replaced stock muffler with Borla - no gain in power, just cool sound.

No cam swapping that I know of on the newer model.

Woudn't bother with headers or cats unless you want to spend a ton of money for a small gain. It's not like the old 5.9L V8 where the gains where huge.

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 PM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by JimBio
Superchips with premium fuel program is hands down the best bang for the buck on this particular truck. Huge gains, even the 87 octane program was a noticable difference. I would buy this first.

Fastman TB - honestly didn't notice any huge gains, if there is a gain it's not noticable without a dyno or track time comparison. Be that as it may I would probably notice it if I went back to stock.

K&N FIPK - sounds cool, better throttle response and mild gain. Noticed no loss in fuel mileage. I average 21-22 on the highway, 18-19 in the city.

Removed resonator (big one) replaced stock muffler with Borla - no gain in power, just cool sound.

No cam swapping that I know of on the newer model.

Woudn't bother with headers or cats unless you want to spend a ton of money for a small gain. It's not like the old 5.9L V8 where the gains where huge.
This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you. Fortunately, money isn't an issue, but I probably won't waste money on small gains. I might as well give the CAI another shot. If I'm not happy with it, I can always go back to the stock setup. Chip, exhaust, and CAI it is. My father actually works at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealership, I'll see what he can do as far as the camshaft goes. Thanks again! Hopefully I can sell my Pontiac so I can finally start modifying the Dakota.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM
rapta619
Professional

if your looking for perfomance mods, you got the wrong truck. they are very few and far between. especially the 3rd gen.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the cams are only useful on non HO motors prior to 08. After that, they are all HO or at least performance wise the same with or without the cams. might be wrong there, someone else chime in.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea the 08+ is even more limited in parts than ours. But there's 70 more hp to start will so... i know there's no cams and I dont think they even have headers. but they have throttle bodies, CAI, and superchips supports them.

I think the best thing you could do for the exhaust is get rid of that pinched Y-pipe.. the rest flows fairly well once the resonators and stock muffler are out of the way. if not for power, then for a nice tough sound.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how a cold air intake could hurt your fuel efficiency.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i noticed big gains after i replaced my stock cat with a high flow, best exhaust mod that I have done.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 PM
rapta619
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
yea the 08+ is even more limited in parts than ours. But there's 70 more hp to start will so... i know there's no cams and I dont think they even have headers. but they have throttle bodies, CAI, and superchips supports them.

I think the best thing you could do for the exhaust is get rid of that pinched Y-pipe.. the rest flows fairly well once the resonators and stock muffler are out of the way. if not for power, then for a nice tough sound.

You sir, nailed it. The exhaust on these v8's is quite intimidating. I had a guy tell me once it sounded better then his big ol ford.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by rapta619
if your looking for performance mods, you got the wrong truck. they are very few and far between. especially the 3rd gen.
I didn't necessarily buy the truck for performance upgrades, but I just so happen to be in the market right now and I'm curious. Believe me, I know there ain't a whole lot. It's kind of unfortunate considering the potential our trucks have.

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
I don't see how a cold air intake could hurt your fuel efficiency.
If you would have seen my stock air box, you would understand. With the K&N installed, it was a lot more airflow than the little 4.0L was used to. If you compare my '96 to an 01+ Ranger, the intake was one of the major changes. The estimated mileage was actually better with the older Rangers. More airflow, more horsepower, less mileage. That's what I've learned.

Originally Posted by FrenicX
That's first in line! I can't wait.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades?