3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota Lower Control Arm Strut BUSHING Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
powelmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dodge Dakota Lower Control Arm Strut BUSHING Replacement

I have successfully found a Strut Bushing for the lower control arm to my 2006 Dodge Dakota. After cutting it out with a torch and then by use of a saw zaw I went and did some research and found that NAPA makes a replacement bushing for this case... It costs $28. Part # 267-3738. I didn't want to buy a new lower control arm afor $280 and fought to find one. Interesting enough someone else wrote that they ordered this bushing for there 2005 Dodge RAM, I got lucky that Dodge Engineers were lazy and used the same bushing for the Ram and the Dakota for the Struts to mount to the lower control arms. (NOTE: I put the bushing in a freezer at 5 degree's over night and then installed it. I also took some 220 grit sand paper and while spraying oil on the steel I recleaned the hole prior to inserting the bushing. I used a 10lb sledg hammer and after tapping it into the hole I gave it 4-5 good wacks and was done......

Hope this helps.

2006 Dodge Dakota, Crew Cab, 4.7L V8, SHOCK Strut Bushing, Lower Control Arm, NAPA # 267-3738.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no it doesn't help, but it would have helped a month ago!

lol, just playin. I am glad you didn't have to spend what I spent on it.. this is good info along with what Alfons had posted before

Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Find!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that a NAPA part number or MOPAR? In Canada, NAPA doesn't carry the same stuff as they do in the US, so it would be helpful for those north of the border to get a Mopar PN to use until they get aftermarket bushings more readily available.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 AM
rexb

I am also looking for lower strut bushings for my 2006 dakota 4x4 4-door slt, Are you sure this bushing will work, the napa store in my area doesn't know #267-3738.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:31 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

@frencix damn bro your truck LOOKS DIFFERENT im liking it almost thought you were someone totally different

FYI we have teh same spindle as a 04 dakota if that helps for lifting?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Originally Posted by powelmc
I have successfully found a Strut Bushing for the lower control arm to my 2006 Dodge Dakota. After cutting it out with a torch and then by use of a saw zaw I went and did some research and found that NAPA makes a replacement bushing for this case... It costs $28. Part # 267-3738. I didn't want to buy a new lower control arm afor $280 and fought to find one. Interesting enough someone else wrote that they ordered this bushing for there 2005 Dodge RAM, I got lucky that Dodge Engineers were lazy and used the same bushing for the Ram and the Dakota for the Struts to mount to the lower control arms. (NOTE: I put the bushing in a freezer at 5 degree's over night and then installed it. I also took some 220 grit sand paper and while spraying oil on the steel I recleaned the hole prior to inserting the bushing. I used a 10lb sledg hammer and after tapping it into the hole I gave it 4-5 good wacks and was done......

Hope this helps.

2006 Dodge Dakota, Crew Cab, 4.7L V8, SHOCK Strut Bushing, Lower Control Arm, NAPA # 267-3738.
Thanks for the info. I think I read another post where someone mentioned a part number but I wasn't sure if they had actually done the swap, so I opted for the new arms due to lack of time. I'm glad I saved my old A-arms though. Never know, I may keep this truck long enough to do the front end again some day.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM
rexb
Default Installing Strut Spacer

I am installing a leveling lift on my 2006 dakota , I am so glad i found a part number on here for the lower strut bushing THANKS SO MUCH.
The spacer i got for the front is supposed to raise the front 3 inches. The strut is not going to hook back up as far as i can tell without compressing the spring. The directions does not mention compressing the spring , but it is not going to hook back up without it and i am not sure if it will even compressing it . The bottom of the strut/shock hits the control arm with the control arm as low as it will go and it won't lean in far enough to let the top go back in the shock tower it is on to much of an angle anyone had problems with this.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If your 4x4, remove the axle nut.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
rexb

Thank you JKEATON for your reply. I have the axle nut off, but that is not helping my problem. The lower control arm is on so much of an angle the lower strut mount hits the control arm on the inside. I can get a smaller bolt stuck in the bottom mount but it won't move over far enough to get the factory bolt in it. I can jack up the control arm trying to compress the spring a little so it will shove over , but it raises up the truck. I don't know that this thing would be drivable if i could get it hooked back up. Can you give me your phone number so i could talk about this my e-mail is rexb@casinternet.net
This must be why i don't see any dakotas around with a lift on them.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota Lower Control Arm Strut BUSHING Replacement