3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Jetster220
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not being nasty, it just really annoys me when someone talks bad about a product or something that they have not used themselves or had tested.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, speak of what you know! Don't assume I've never used Amsoil! I have through many years of fishing bass tournaments in both my tow rigs AND my outboards. I still use it in my outboards. I also would have no issue using it in my truck but because I refuse to run an oil for more than 6k miles, it's simply not cost effective. I have the product in my boat shed as I write this. I also REALLY like their newer technology dry flow filters BTW.

ANYBODY who knows anything about Amsoil knows that the reason it lasts so long is that repeated heating/cooling cycles STRENGTHENS the viscosity properties and the oil actually GETS THICKER over time. In an older engine (like back in the days when we all switched from 10w-40 to 20w-50 when engines got age on them to stop leaks and burning from rings, etc.) this would actually be a benefit.

I've had Amsoil tested at 12k miles in a previous truck and my Blackstone report warned about the viscosity gain! It's from my '98 truck and if I by chance kept the report and can find it - I'll scan it and post it! Amsoil increasing in viscosity (thickening) over time is a PROVEN FACT. MANY INDEPENDENT (not conducted by Amsoil) tests have proven this over the years.

I would implore you to read the following example that comes to mind showing that the product that started at 5w-30 was measured to be 15w-40 after 14,000 miles of use:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

In particular I refer to the following:

"This is it. Amsoil is done! The oil exceeded a year in service, with 14,000 miles on the ticker, and no filter change! Well, if the year hadn't ended, we would have had to change the filter now -- it finally reached our insolubles cap, 2,000 miles after Mobil 1. The main thing that stands out on this, our final Amsoil sample, is the ridiculous viscosity. This 5W30 oil has now thickened out to a 15W40 -- argue whether it matters if you like, but we believe engine builders spec an oil for a reason, and this oil is far, far thicker now than intended for the LS1. Switching to our flush Mobil 1 netted a nearly instant 10% improvement in fuel economy, and the engine runs a heckuva lot smoother too. To Amsoil's credit, wear metals remain in check, but we will soon see whether that was really thanks to the oil or just to engine break-in."

I have had discussions with engineers at both GM and Chrysler who specifically warn about using an "extended use" oil for more than 7500 miles on any cylinder deactivation engine (example MDS Hemi) because of the strict viscosity tolerances in these applications. And yes, I realize a Dak is not available with a cylinder deactivation system, but the 3.7 and 4.7 have some pretty tight tolerances.

My only problem with Amsoil is I personally think some of the claims are outlandish. I question using an oil or filter for 25k in any application. HOWEVER he product itself has proven to be a quality true synthetic lubricant and certainly among the top tier synthetics. I would never talk someone out of using Amsoil, just doing so for what I would consider way too long of a change interval.

In the future, please post FACTS about SOMETHING YOU KNOW. Please don't tell someone what they have or have not used or what they have or have not done when in truth you simply don't have a clue.

Thank you...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Jetster220
Rookie

I just assumed you hadnt used it based on your previous post you didnt mention any personal experiences with it. I wish I still had my own report from Blackstone showing that the Amsoil was still perfectly in its original spec of viscosity. Im due for another change in a few thousand, Ill send it off for testing again and post up results.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change ,y mobil 1 EP (and before it was renamed to EP, simply Mobil 1) once a year, every October. Once a year has been the case since 1980 in my family.

With the dakota, I think that means around 9000 to 11000 miles, but if it was 15000 I still wouldn't change it early.

One filter a year as well.

Cost around $45 a year, and 20 minutes of my time. I don't really care for convincing anyone what to do with there own money. If people like to change it early, by all means.

It's only the US who still have these tight oil change standards, but it is loosening up a bit. Mercedes Benz does 10,000 mile changes on Mobil 1 by the book at the dealer, and they don't use any special filter or anything.

Personally I have had good luck. The oldest vehicle we kept was like 285k miles I think, and that was on yearly changes. I cannot say whether or not 3k dino changes would have made a healthier engine at 285k than yearly changes on mobil 1, but if the engine makes it there without an issue, who gives a **** really because it's going to be scrap lol.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetster220
I just assumed you hadnt used it based on your previous post you didnt mention any personal experiences with it. I wish I still had my own report from Blackstone showing that the Amsoil was still perfectly in its original spec of viscosity. Im due for another change in a few thousand, Ill send it off for testing again and post up results.
It just seemed to me you got real defensive (to the point of being offensive) about Amsoil and I wasn't bashing the product at all. I was simply pointing out what the product does after prolonged use and imploring anyone to have their oil tested (as you have) if you are going to try to use ANY oil for extended periods so you know just what that oil is doing to your engine and when it begins to do it.

In the Ram sections there are many posts regarding Amsoil and thickening viscosity readings. It's actually pretty common knowledge.

Amsoil is not the only product that gains viscosity with age. Most oils break down and lose viscosity, but these "extended" oils have additive packages that use repeated heating cooling cycles to keep viscosity and many times they go the other way and get thicker, especially if you are prone to city driving and/or shorter trips. Amsoil is designed to last longest, so it tends to be the one that thickens the most. Just know what you are getting into when using oil for longer than the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends. Having your oil tested is the only way to know for sure.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything special to swapping to Syn, like a clean/purge kinda thing, or just a straight swap? like Old out Syn in, done
Im thinking of switching, ive changed my oil over 4-5 times in a year or so now.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I just started using it. No special purging or anything.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Jetster220
Rookie

My oil report after 15,000 on Amsoil.
oilreport.png

Last edited by Jetster220; 05-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

The oil viscosity arguements will never get anywhere. Never the less a specific brand.
Kinda like an abortion arguement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
The oil viscosity arguements will never get anywhere. Never the less a specific brand.
Kinda like an abortion arguement
Agreed! USE WHAT YOU LIKE FOR THE INTERVAL THAT YOU LIKE. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS, POST THEM.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil