3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota Quad Beam

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:40 PM
PeachStateDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dakota Quad Beam

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and this will be my first post.
First Off I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 2WD and I always look at these forums to find stuff so I figured it was my duty to post something that I have yet to find.

In my search to find out how to do a Quad Beam Headlight Mod I could never find a straight answer as to how to do it. So this is how I went about it AFTER I bought my HID low/ Halogen High beam kit.

I first found out that Dodges use a ground wire for the lights to turn on. So I thought to my self, "since the the positive wires to both the High and Low beams are always running but yet the lights turn on when there is a single sent to CPU telling it to ground the wire; why not just make an easy installment of a Diode with the current running from the High Beam wire (Red w/ Orange Stripe) to the Low Beam wire (Violet w/ White Stripe) at the steering wheel column where the multi-function switch is?"

So I tried it out and guess what? It works perfectly. It is as simple as the fact that since the current is always running to both wires - but yet the CPU only grounds the wire that the relay in the switch tells it to ground - that when I switch from High beam to Low beam that the current will run from the High Beam to the Low Beam tricking the CPU to think that the Low beam needs to be grounded as well, and therefor turns the high beams on and keeps the Low beams on.

After about 2 months so far I still have not had any problems with the instillation (no bulbs blown, no wires fried, my headlight lenses aren't melting (yet), and all is good so far.

If anybody has any questions on the way I did anything just shoot me a message or res[ond. I reckon that's how these things work

Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I will move your post to the 3rd Gen Dakota section.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could add some pics of your project or at least the finished product that would be awesome! Thanks bro and welcome to the forum!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Isn't a 2002 a 2nd Gen Dakota?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Dragon05
Veteran

Originally Posted by hwcurtice
Isn't a 2002 a 2nd Gen Dakota?
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:22 PM
PeachStateDakota

I would post pictures of the installation but... I had to use some of my buddies tools as I do not have that great of a selection. But I can tell you a step by step of what I did.

1.) Disconnect the positive battery terminal
2.) take off the steering wheel column box.
3.) Disconnect the wire pack (like a pin system) from the steering wheel column
4.) Locate the high beam and low beam wires. (for me it was HB = red w/ orange stripe, and LB = violet w/ white stripe)
5.) run a diode ( I used one from Radioshack model # 276-1144) from the high beam to the low beam. Make sure the silver part of the diode is facing the low beam. This means that the current will only run from the High Beam to the Low Beam not the Low Beam to the High beam.
I will try to illustrate. (High Beam Wire) -----Diode----(silver part)----(Low Beam wire)
6.) Plug the battery back up and turn your lights on. Test to make sure that your Low Beams stay on when you click over to High Beams, and also make sure that your High Beams dont stay on when you are suppose to only have your Low Beams on.

Extra Notes: I have been told you can only do this is if you have separate High and Low Beam bulbs. In other words, I could not have done this with my stock 9007 bulbs. That is why I got HID Bulbs (mine are HID Low/ Halogen High). I am sure this works with the HID High & HID Low (Bi-xenon). Just be careful that your not get to hot cause your headlight lenses can melt from being over heated.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota Quad Beam